DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Spray foam on Stone foundation

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Windows on Wash 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in Ontario, and building code states that spray foam insulation must be covered by a fire barrier. We plan on only insulation 1/2 way down the wall due to moisture and allowing the foundation to dry. We don't want to attach a a stud wall to our concrete floor because of the moisture. What is the best way to cover our foam.

#2 ·
I have a stone foundation as well and have looked into this quite a bit. I am not a fan of the method you described because it has a large potential for problems due to the moisture. I will be waterproofing and insulating my stone foundation walls from the outside to stop the moisture and keep the wall on the warm side to avoid freeze/thaw issues.

#5 ·
There are some foams that are "fire rated" but whether that is acceptable per code for that area is up to question.

I would check with the code in your area and for you application.

Most foams that are left exposed in accessible locations require some sort of protection barrier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.