Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #1

Share |

Spray foam on R panel pole building

I'm planning on having a pole building installed for a home. The building will be framed in wood and covered with R panel. The 5" square poles will be set 10" apart with 2" x 6"'s as girts and the metal screwed directly to them. I plan on installing 2" x 4"'s as inside girts and then drywall. I'm having additional trusses set at 24" OC also. My question is about insulation, I plan on having open cell spray on insulation installed 3"-3.5" thick on the walls and roof. Will this be enough for the walls and will adding 12" of blown in insulation in the ceiling create a problem with moisture. I will have gable vents installed with a fan for our hot summers here in Louisiana. I'm trying to go as energy efficient as possible but don't want to create future problems.

Radrob777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

In Louisiana, you need to be worried about the moisture drive from outside vs inside in colder Northern climates.

I did not hear any mention of a weather resistant barrier to the outside of the walls of underlayment for the roof.

Both of these should help with any bulk moisture and the R panel can somewhat dry because of the flutes on it.

If you are wanting to build smartly, I would incorporate rigid foam to the exterior and in doing so create a complete thermal break as well air barrier to mitigate the movement of moisture.

If you have a deep enough layer of rigid foam to the roof side and combine that with some spray foam to the inside, you can eliminate the vented aspect of the roof which would be better at keeping the moisture out of the space altogether.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #3

I had originally planned to have the R-11 plastic faced blanket insulation installed on the roof but thought the spray foam would be better to completely seal off the building and act as a noise barrier from the rain on a metal roof. I also had thought about installing foam board on the interior wall girts and then adding R-19 blanket insulation to add an air gap between the metal and the foam board. I noticed Morton Buildings use only the blanket insulation on the walls in their energy package, that's not much compared to what I plan. I can go with anything to increase the R value, I just don't want to have problems with sweating year round. I know I'm gonna have some days that it sweats down here due to the weather but it happens on any house with our weather. I just stepped outside and the driveway is sweating and trees dripping with heavy dew from the weather changing from cold and dry to warm with high humidity.
Radrob777 is offline   Reply With Quote