Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
I can do it......I think!

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to MovedTooMuch
Share |

Spray Foam into walls behind kitchen cabinets?

I am in the middle of some kitchen renovations. My wife complains that the cabinets are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. (Yes, I have read the other threads on the subject that this is somewhat normal.)

I have the countertop off right now. I was thinking to drilling some holes and spraying in expanding foam behind the lower cabinets.

Q) Has anyone drilled holes and sprayed in cans of expanding spray foam behind the drywall?

Q) If so, which foam works better? I have seen the normal red can, gap filling foam, minimally expanding foam, and fire resistant foam.

I am concerned that the expanding foam will expand and pop the drywall behind the cabinets. I have seen the foam really press in on window frames.

MovedTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

I would'nt think you'd want to blindly spray foam behind cabinets. First depending on how much cabinets you wanting to spray it wouldn't be cheap, I don't think there is a cubic foot of finish foam in a can. If you wanting to spray from ceiling to floor there wouldn't be any way to assure that all voids are filled. Even using the no bulge foam wil still cause problems when using large volumes. Foam insulation is a great product, I had my new house done and love it. If it were me and wanted to do something over nothing I think I'd rent a blower and use cellulose as it fills voids well and there isn't the risk of blowing out wall and permentilly welding all wires and plumbing in place.

jburd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I fear using little cans you will just block any ability to spray in enough to fill the voids completely. I would agree that renting a blower and buying some cellulose would be a better option. Or if the cabinets are on exterior walls, bribe some guys on the tail end of a real spray in foam installation to do a little project for you at the end of the day.

You will not accomplish what you seek with spray cans of the stuff. And if you get moisture voids in between canfuls you will have mold and all other sorts of problems on you in no time.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 42

You will probably get a better seal and insulation if you just rip the drywall in those locations. You will not really need to finish mud and tape and putting a can of spray foam in there will neither insulate nor air seal it properly.

Blowing in cellulose is a nice option as mentioned but that is a relatively small size and you are going to pay for the crew to just come out and do it. Dense packing by a first time user does not usually net the results you are looking for.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #5

I would agree, you would not want to spray cans of spray foam into voids of walls with cans. If you were to spray blindly into a wall it would require a slow rise foam, but the best way to do it is tearing off the drywall unfortunately.
jsesic is offline   Reply With Quote