Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

Share |

Spray foam insulation depth - 2" vs. 3" ?

We're well into a major basement renovation project that involved jacking the house up and building foundation walls under some ground floor additions built by a previous owner on concrete posts (i.e. there was just a crawlspace underneath).

The contract includes polyurethane spray foam insulation to a depth of 3" on all exterior foundation walls, end joists etc. The drywall went up before the holidays, but I ended up taking it back down due to some unsatisfactory work that's discussed in this thread.

After taking down the walls, it seemed hard to believe that the spray foam could be 3" thick. I took a very thin, sharp probe, and and poked about ten random holes through the foam to the concrete, and found that virtually every one was to a depth of about 2". I marked the holes, and could plug them if this is an issue.

I'm interested in getting informed opinions on whether this is a big enough deal to take up with the contractor. I don't know if there's some kind of "normal tolerance" by which 2" is ok, or if they really haven't followed the manufacturer's directions and I'm getting ripped off getting less than I paid for.

Thanks for any comments,

P
Attached Thumbnails
Spray foam insulation depth - 2" vs. 3" ?-img_0417.jpg  

Last edited by Proton; 01-23-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #2

P, I asked for and paid for 2" and that's what I got as a minimum. In some places its considerably thicker. They used a thin pick to judge the depth as they sprayed. I believe 2" was all they could put during a single application, due to the heat and curing process. They would have had to do another pass to get to 3", if I recall correctly.

It was billed out at so much per square foot, then x2 for the thickness.

If you paid for 3", you should have gotten 3" as a minimum. I don't believe there is appreciable "shrinkage" of applied product.

You should plug those holes.

Mike.

northernlite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northernlite For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-23-2014), Windows on Wash (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlite View Post
P, I asked for and paid for 2" and that's what I got as a minimum. In some places its considerably thicker. They used a thin pick to judge the depth as they sprayed. I believe 2" was all they could put during a single application, due to the heat and curing process. They would have had to do another pass to get to 3", if I recall correctly.

It was billed out at so much per square foot, then x2 for the thickness.

If you paid for 3", you should have gotten 3" as a minimum. I don't believe there is appreciable "shrinkage" of applied product.

You should plug those holes.

Mike.
Thanks Mike - I will mention to contractor, and ask for a credit. Most of the other walls are up so he can't really apply more (I just found this because he did a horrible job on this drywall and I took it down because this room is to have soundproofing treatment).

What do you recommend to plug the holes?

P
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #4

Where you are, the 2" will be acting as a vapor barrier. The goal will be to maintain the airtight integrity of that barrier. I would use a caulking or spray foam from a can.
I have one of those screw-on applicators so I can pinpoint apply and control it and re-use the cannister. If you have a number of locations to use foam, it's worth the investment. If not, 6-7 bucks for the single use can will do the trick. Fill the cavity with roxul, then your RC as per instructions, and drywall away.
northernlite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northernlite For This Useful Post:
Proton (01-23-2014)