Soundproofing Apartment - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

soundproofing apartment

I have an apartment in my home. unfortunately, the main space of that apartment is directly below my bedroom and "soundproofing" is definitely called for.( <- me,when the tenant turns on his tv)
since I'll be replacing the carpet in my bedroom eventually,I thought THAT would be the time to put down some sound barrier. (I've seen some that appear to take the place of the carpet pad) But,now I'm thinking I may go berserk if I wait that long. any ideas about soundproofing with existing carpet already installed? (I've read where "cellulose insulation" works good between floor joists but how do you get it in there? any help?

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,256

soundproofing apartment

Any insulation will work in this case.

Most folks go with a Mineral wool but that will require pulling up the plywood flooring whereas you could more easily cut some access holes to pack with cellulose as long as there are no insulation contact issues.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

soundproofing apartment

Lowes Carries a drywall product called "quiet board" it is supposed to reduce about 20db. If layed on top of existing plywood/drywall it would be even more
Rono8582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

soundproofing apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono8582 View Post
Lowes Carries a drywall product called "quiet board" it is supposed to reduce about 20db. If layed on top of existing plywood/drywall it would be even more
I've looked at some stuff on the web, sold in 4x8 sheets,looks like it replaces the pad under the carpet. so when I redo the carpet in the bedroom (the existing carpet is 30 years old) I'll probably put that down.

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

soundproofing apartment

You can rent a machine and blow insulation in.

You do not want to get rid of carpet padding or your new carpet will wear very quickly. This is not to say putting the sound insulation board down not a good idea too. Cork is also a good sound insulator.

They make some recording style sound baffle panels that actually look rather cool on ceilings. Tad expensive though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote