Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

sound proofing walls

HI, I am renovating an existing reno in a basement. There are 2 bachelor apts adjacent to each other. There are 2 walls between them. 1 wall consists of 1/2 inch drywall on each side and pink insulation with vapor barrier in the middle.

Should I tear out this wall and put soundproofing insulation in place of the pink fiberglass? Or just put up another layer of 1/2 inch drywall to cut down on the noise? Does r12 fiberglass provide any noise proofing?

The other wall was framed with 2x3" studs and 1/2 inch drywall. I wanted to put in roxul sound/fire proof insulation. Will it fit a 2x3 or does it have to be 2x4?

Thanks
Steve

tiki16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

sound proofing walls

Do what ever you want. Yes, pink fiberglass insulation will cut down noise. There are a lot of ways to sound proof. If I was you and I was thinking of an additional layer of drywall I would use 5/8's drywall.

dberladyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #3

sound proofing walls

Look up Green Glue if you are adding a new layer of drywall on top of the existing. I have never used it but many people on avsforum swear by it.

http://www.greengluecompany.com/upgr...stingWalls.php
leungw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

sound proofing walls

There are many options with large cost range. A good answer depends on your budget and time. You can use insulation, quiet rock, double walls, staggered studs, resilient channel.

The idea is to add mass and/or physically decouple the walls. Also, make sure there are no penetrations in the walls that will allow a path for sounds to travel.

Last edited by acerunner; 05-05-2011 at 04:34 PM.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

sound proofing walls

The soundproof sites I've read say that the acoustic insulation is not much more effective than the run of the mill pink stuff. A completely decoupled wall (2 separate walls) is the most effective method for soundproofing, but I'm not quite clear on how your 2 walls are set up. If you have 2 walls with drywall only on the living space side of each wall, perfect. However, if it is two walls with 3 or 4 sides drywall, it is creating what is called the 'Triple Leaf Effect'. Here's a link:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...e_leaf_effect/

And here's more:
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/library/articles/

http://www.greengluecompany.com/technicallibrary.php

Lots of info at these sites. I did much research for soundproofing a wall between two rooms. I'm using double layers of drywall with Green Glue in-between the layers. The sound dampening is serious. I also have a case of acoustic sealant (caulk) and putty pads for electrical outlets.

There's really too much information to convey in one post, but the links above will be useful.
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Soundproofing Guy

sound proofing walls

I'd also be interested in hearing more details about exactly how the walls are built.
Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

sound proofing walls

I wonder how well silicone sealant stacks up against the Green Glue stuff. Their site gives a chart against regular construction adhesive, but not silicone.

Also, I wonder how well cinder block walls (hollow or filled with sand, gravel, or concrete) is compared to sheetrock wall construction (with and without the Green Glue)....

I'm getting ready to build a hangar and apartment at an airpark and even though I don't find the noise of an aircraft all that irritating when I'm outside, I would prefer to minimize it inside when I'm trying to sleep...
diy-581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Soundproofing Guy

sound proofing walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy-581 View Post
I wonder how well silicone sealant stacks up against the Green Glue stuff.
People have wondered for the past 10 years. It's an urban legend. It's far too stiff and elastic. Plus, you'll likely find silicone costs more on a per-ounce basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy-581 View Post
Also, I wonder how well cinder block walls (hollow or filled with sand, gravel, or concrete) is compared to sheetrock wall construction (with and without the Green Glue)....
A solid block wall filled with concrete would do well
Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

sound proofing walls

Wouldn't a hollow block wall do better than a solid one? Being that sound travels better through denser medium.....
Old 05-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Soundproofing Guy

sound proofing walls

No. Mass is the primary driver in sound isolation.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

sound proofing walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
No. Mass is the primary driver in sound isolation.
That makes sense. Is it the same for rigid mass as flexible mass?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
Soundproofing Guy

sound proofing walls

Yes it is, although flexible mass will not have a resonance point that we can hear. Rigid mass will have an audible resonance point (called a coincidence point) which is why we damp that rigid mass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted White For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #13

sound proofing walls

There's lots of ways to sound proof, some of these although sound means of doing so are over kill in my opinion. For the sound seperation of two suites, an insulated wall with 5/8 drywall (and acoustical sealant) on either side should suffice. Want more preotection add another layer of 5/8's drywall. If you really want to ensure you don't hear anything as the poster above mentioned build both sides as seperate untouching walls.
dberladyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Soundproofing Guy

sound proofing walls

I think that's generally true.

As a side note, insulation in a single stud (coupled) wall can drop the noise but not by much. Tests would show you'll get more bang by adding the drywall as you say.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #15

sound proofing walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
I think that's generally true.

As a side note, insulation in a single stud (coupled) wall can drop the noise but not by much. Tests would show you'll get more bang by adding the drywall as you say.
Any comments on insulation in a 5" staggered wall (created from an existing 2x4 wall)? I plan on pink 3.5" paper-backed (paper facing toward the new space..."new staggered stud side"), stapled between the 'pre-existing' studs (about 8" cavities, unless I compress it behind the new staggered studs, which seems counter-productive). Is there a more efficient way to do this?

Thanks,
Mark

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote