Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Slab insulation

I think I went over kill but I did a sill gasket, treated, then regular bottom plate. I used coated deck screws to attach the regular lumber to the treated. I used tapcons to attach the treated to the slab.

I did a double bottom plate because I plan on using Delta-Fl and Plywood for a sub-floor. Will be using carpet and laminate as finished flooring.

tommyxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Slab insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
The 1" gives safety to 40%RH, the 1/2" to only 35%RH with using a dehumidifier, as I stated in post #10. BSC didn't give the specific Zone 4 as I figured, just a (safe) minimum thickness. Be sure to use 1" (R-5) XPS under the bottom plate (as a sill sealer is R-1 or less), not enough to be a thermal break; stopping the walls from becoming "heat sinks" to the cold earth at the perimeter. Use unfaced (no poly/foil) rigid, unless you are absolutely certain to air seal the board against condensation (any pin-hole will compromise it). Check locally, some jurisdictions require fire-blocking the rigid board every 10' horizontally as well, others- just the framing, per code; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...002_par017.htm

Gary
PS. only the rigid on the concrete requires the grid pattern.
What is your suggestion for flooring? I was planning to put down landscape fabric (recommended by cosella-dorken), then Delta-FL with 1/2" plywood for the carpet areas and floating laminate directly on the Delta-FL.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Slab insulation

The landscape fabric is ONLY if the floor is not level, where the material won't make full contact; it will make noise on contact with gaps. I'd use foamboard (with/out Delta FL) in a location with 55*F or colder after adding 10*F to the surface temperature; pp.2; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...g-your-basment

http://www.epa.gov/athens/learn2mode...enrys_map.html

http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/ib...igest-180.html

As the intermittent supports of Delta will transmit cold earth/slab temperatures, though not as much due to design gaps.

Gary
Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #4

Slab insulation

Quote:
The landscape fabric is ONLY if the floor is not level, where the material won't make full contact; it will make noise on contact with gaps. I'd use foamboard (with/out Delta FL) in a location with 55*F or colder after adding 10*F to the surface temperature; pp.2; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...g-your-basment

http://www.epa.gov/athens/learn2mode...enrys_map.html

http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/ib...igest-180.html

As the intermittent supports of Delta will transmit cold earth/slab temperatures, though not as much due to design gaps.

Gary
It might be too late to put down XPS as my walls are already framed PLUS I have a height issue.

I only have 7' 2" from slab to bottom of the floor joist. (going to be using furring strips and 1/2" drywall so less that that AND the lowest clearance will be under the steel beam/duct work bulk head that runs down the center of the basement at only 6' 5". I am 6' 3" so I am trying to preserve ceiling height as much as I can.

What thickness XPS were you suggesting? I was going to use Delta-FL and 1/2 plywood for one half for carpet and laminate floated directly on the Delta-DL for the Poker Table/Wet bar area.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #5

Slab insulation

Where located? Gary
Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Slab insulation

Quote:
Where located? Gary
Thanks for moving this into a new thread. I am in Delaware.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #7

Slab insulation

If you notice on the map temperature link, Delaware is around 57*F and 10* warmer six feet down, no insulation to prevent condensation is required... only to keep your feet warm.

Gary
Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

Slab insulation

Quote:
If you notice on the map temperature link, Delaware is around 57*F and 10* warmer six feet down, no insulation to prevent condensation is required... only to keep your feet warm.

Gary
That is great news then! I'll move forward with using the Delta-FL and 1/2 t&g plywood.

Thanks for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyxv For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (06-27-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

Slab insulation

I have 3 rolls of Delta-FL and 3 rolls Delta moisture proof tape left over. If anyone near Delaware wants them for $150 a roll with a roll of tape included, let me know.

Thanks.