Shower:Redgard, Durock, Roxul, Blackboard - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Shower:Redgard, Durock, Roxul, Blackboard

About to install Durock, Stud cavities are sealed, the blackboard seems to have an asphalt coating on it.

I'm not using any kind of VB (other than Red Gard).

It's been suggested that I use a tar paper liner between the Durock and the studs. Any of the experts take exception to this? I believe TP is vapor permeable, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

Thanks!

Advertisement

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,236

Tar paper is not a class I vapor retarder. Ideally, you new wall should be bulk moisture tight and vapor tight to prevent the vapor from entering the wall at all and allowing it to dry to outside if possible.

Where is this can be problematic is if the interior wall is the cold wall (far South and humid).

More details about your location are helpful but if you keep the bulk moisture out (most tile jobs do not) you are ahead of the game.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Tar paper is not a class I vapor retarder. Ideally, you new wall should be bulk moisture tight and vapor tight to prevent the vapor from entering the wall at all and allowing it to dry to outside if possible.

Where is this can be problematic is if the interior wall is the cold wall (far South and humid).

More details about your location are helpful but if you keep the bulk moisture out (most tile jobs do not) you are ahead of the game.

Hi WoW. It should dry to the outside OK. BB (with asphalt coating) with a brick cladding. And yes, as you may remember, deep south.
The only vapor retarder will be the Red Gard.

The plan is tile, Red Gard, Durock (on wood studs), Roxul, BB (as above), 1" gap, brick.
All is air sealed. stud cavities are air sealed with silicone, all top plate penetrations are sealed with tumescent fire caulk (pressed in and completely filling hole)

External (shower) walls: 4' wall is east facing, the other external 3 ' wall is south facing.

I've been planning on tile, as it's hard to beat the appearance with marble, etc.

I should have been more clear about the TP. It was suggested just as an additional layer behind the durock that would protect the studs from moisture, but I'm not so sure about using it in this application.

Do you see any issues with this plan (less TP, I guess)?
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote