Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Should my gable end vent that is adjustable stay open or closed for the winter?

I live in a house that has cathedral ceilings for the middle of the house hallway on the top floor.

On the top floor at one end there is a master bedroom and above that is I guess what you could consider a tiny attic with a gable end vent.

On the top floor at the other end of the house there is a bathroom and above that is a small area with an attic fan and an inside vent that closes or opens depending on whether or not the fan is running. It also has a gable end vent on the outside that is adjustable. Here is a picture:

My question is should that vent stay open or closed throughout the winter? It's not like a normal house where you have an attic and the gable end vents allow the breeze to flow through one to the other.

Thanks

Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

If it is for an attic fan, it will stay closed when not running. If auto temp actuated, it will stay close at 40•f and lower.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If it is for an attic fan, it will stay closed when not running. If auto temp actuated, it will stay close at 40•f and lower.
It's from the 1940's or 1950's I think. It came with the house. There's a steel cable for the outside vent that connects to some actuator on the inside but it broke. I've tried to fix it but the top few blinds always stay open a little bit. I just wondered if I should take a ladder out, go up there and try to close it all the way off for the next few months. We had a real windy day yesterday and I could feel a draft in the hallway.
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,110

If your feeling a draft then some things wrong. That attic space should be completely sealed off from the living space.
There has to be a way to get out the hot moist air out of the attic year round.
Gary in WA (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Place some 2" XPS against the vent, secure with something, to keep it from blowing out, that should help.

As long as you have other venting, just closing that vent should not affect airflow in the attic.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote