Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |

should i replace?

Hi all.

we are in mid reno with our master bedroom and found we have a window that needs to be replaced. i was planning to replace all the insulation around that window as it is water damaged, but have noticed that what is in there, is R12 pink insul.

ive got a few bundles of R14 Roxul here at the house, and am wondering if i should replace all the R12 i have exposed at this time with the R14? would it be a noticable difference or would i be just doing un-necessary work/expense for very little gain? i understand that every R added is a good thing, but is the juice worth the squeeze? lol.

if i started to do this, i would continue throughout the exterior walls as time and money permits. we are fixing one room at a time up.

the idea of it being fire and water repellant is def something i like the idea of.

so what are your thoughts? thank you!

All-thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #2

should i replace?

What would make it worth your time is to pull the batts out, are seal the cavities and replace. Whether you use the R-12 again or put in R-14 is really a question you need to ask your wallet. Can you afford it without pain and are you in this home for the long haul? Because the payback on the R-2 gain is going to be a while.

All-thumbs (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #3

should i replace?

Depends on how soon after the water reached it and you forced-air dried it out, get out the microscope; http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhou...rglassMold.htm
Or reinstall it and play the lottery......

But then I'm not a big fan of fiberglass: The "biggest loser" in fiberglass insulation....

Either way you go- air seal first as AGW said: pp. 21:http://www.engr.psu.edu/phrc/trainin...ngbarriers.pdf

Gary
All-thumbs (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

should i replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Depends on how soon after the water reached it and you forced-air dried it out, get out the microscope; http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhou...rglassMold.htm
Or reinstall it and play the lottery......

But then I'm not a big fan of fiberglass: The "biggest loser" in fiberglass insulation....

Either way you go- air seal first as AGW said: pp. 21:http://www.engr.psu.edu/phrc/trainin...ngbarriers.pdf

Gary
i wouldnt be re-using the insul that came out. but there is only a small area that is wet. jsut wasnt sure if i should replace the 2 peices that are wet or replace the whole wall with something a little better while i got the drywall off. once i got a window to replace the rotted wooden one thats there now, i guess i will use the roxul and do it all. we just moved in a few months ago and dont plan on moving for quite a while..

and i will do as suggested as per the air seal. Thanks AGWhitehouse!

good links!

Last edited by All-thumbs; 01-24-2012 at 04:54 PM.
All-thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote