Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

Should I put new insulation in the basement?

They did a poor job insulated the basement from what I can tell. Some of the insulation has mold on it and I think they might be a reason for some bug issues in the basement. I'm not sure if this type of insulation is suppose to be stapled in or what not, but it can be easily pulled out by hand.

I was going to buy some of this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cor...7#.UXGbWcoeK8c

I went ahead and measured it out and I need about 5 rolls of this. I thought about cleaning behind the old insulation if this is ok? What is the proper way to install insulation?
Attached Thumbnails
Should I put new insulation in the basement?-20130419_142548.jpg   Should I put new insulation in the basement?-20130419_142559.jpg  

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

It's moldy because no one foam sealed the gaps and used styrofoam to finish sealing up that area.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

Do you recommend a certain product?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #4

Great Stuff and 2" thick blue foam you can get at any box store.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #5

So put up the 2" foam board first then the batting?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

There has to be hundreds of post on this exact subject under insulation.
Just go to the search funtion.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

I mostly get insulation for basement walls results. I just didn't know how to properly insulate because we are leaving the basement unfinished.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #8

You can DIY SPF or use rigid foamboard/canned foam, as Joe said. http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...l_seal_rev.pdf
Also, caulk the mudsill/concrete gap against air ifliltration/exfiltration as this may be the source of the moisture in the air condensing on the wood. If there is a poly sill sealer under the p.t. plate, you have a water problem elsewhere as the bottom of the I-joists should not be wet. Another picture of the outside wall at siding level about 6' away would help. It may be the siding drip edge doesn't go below the mudsill and more flashing is required.

Gary
Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It's moldy because no one foam sealed the gaps and used styrofoam to finish sealing up that area.
If it was mold or mildew, it was due to because water or moisture got between the insulation and the OSB, due to temperature differences between the cold side and the warm side of the insulation.

I have Batts around my basement Sill & Joist bays, and do not have a issue with mold or mildew. Only place that I have ever gotten it, was under the tub, due to water got between the tub surround that we installed, and the tub, due to a gap, from the tub being not even along the wall, to begin with, from when they put it in back when the house was built in 1937.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

Your bottom of the sub-floor looks similar to this current one; Bathroom Exhaust Duct

No sill-sealer = moisture; http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

I agree with Joe, stop the air leaks, use f.b. not f.g. at the rims; fiberglass, okay in walls but not rim joist?

Gary
Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #11

Does it matter what kind of caulk I use for the mudsill? I went ahead and uploaded the other picture because it looks like this is only a problem from the front of the house(the concrete wall pictured is the front of the house). The other concrete walls don't look like this.

Didn't know the foam board was going to be so expensive. I was checking out this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cor...x#.UXLmn8ow-8c

so after I caulk I should put this up? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cor...r#.UXLnjcow-8c

Would it be cheaper to use can foam? If so, is there a brand you guys recommend? Thanks for the help so far guys, much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I put new insulation in the basement?-20130420_134828.jpg   Should I put new insulation in the basement?-20130420_134853.jpg  

Last edited by word2yamutha; 04-20-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #12

At better picture, you don't need the sill-sealer, it is already in place. All the moisture streaks on concrete are a clue...

The rim joist area is similar to a wall; distance/depth of cavity insulation from the heat source to the foamboard; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...r-requirements Notice, the more cavity insulation= the thicker f.b. required to prevent condensation on the inside the f.b. There will be no condensation on the rim as it is air/moisture sealed from basement air. I'd go with the higher thickness listed for 2x6 wall, to compensate finished drywall in the basement later. I could figure the dew-point, if I had your largest closest city name... below the map; if in Zone 4, or Zone 5; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._11_par002.htm

Gary
PS. Is there brick veneer on the other side of rim?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #13

no brick veneer on the outside. I live in zone 4 about 40min away from columbia, MO. So the wet looking part on the concrete is the sill seal correct? So go ahead and caulk where the wood meets the concrete?

So when installing the foam board it doesn't touch the concrete part, correct?

Last edited by word2yamutha; 04-20-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

If all they used was that foam stripping between the framing and the concrete, that right there is why you are getting moisture pulling into the house from the outside. You have to love how homes are built these days, compared to back in the day, when they were built to last.

You are lucky if homes built these days to last more than 10 years, before they start falling apart.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

Sill sealers are designed to stop air/moisture/low water absorption/insects. It is the best you can have, and you have it; https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Sf-fmaa9ayOUVg

I am concerned you have a water source at the mudsill, wetting the joist bottoms as pictured. They should be dry. Your exterior flashing/housewrap is defective there. What type of siding---- a picture of outside house would help- 8' away...

you may be able to remove a bottom course and add sill flashing there; http://www.ebuild.com/articles/470010.hwx

Gary