Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Rodent barrier at rim joist

I plan on insulating my rim joists with 2" XPS and sealing it with "Great Stuff". I saw on a HGTV the other day, a carpenter install 16 gauge sheet metal in each joist bay at the rim joist to block rodents before using the XPS. Is this a viable option for blocking rodents before adding insulation at the joists? I would hate to insulate and then have mice eat through it. I do have some mice in my basement now. I am working to caulk and use cement in a caulk gun form to seal holes and cracks I find in other areas of my basement. I also am placing poison bait in a few spots. Outside of the house there is no vegetation within ten feet of the house and I do keep the grass mowed. Any advice on whether or not this is a waste of time/money? Thanks.

chronojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Never heard of it.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

Neither had I until today. I just wanted to see if anyone has heard of or tried it.
chronojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

This may be better placed in the pest control section.

I have never heard of this either, but my feeling is that it is overkill unless you know there is a rodent problem in your neighborhood (ie a farm or other property that might attract them first which would get them close enough to want to move to your house). Here in New England when winter comes they start looking for warm places to live but they will prefer easy access points so before they start chewing holes in your rim joists they will be looking for existing holes in the exterior of the house. In my opinion it is more cost and time effective to find and seal those points of entry and invest in decon and traps than armoring your rim joists.
silverbullitt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,016

+1

Seems a bit aggressive. If your rodents require sheet metal, perhaps you need to get a rifle.

They do have termite shield metal but I have never seen anything for rats.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 264

I actually think this is a good idea. I have a detached garage and my lot backs up to a field. I have had mice in the garage during the winter months every few years, but so far (knocks wood) never in the house. They are a pain to get rid of so I think it's easier to prevent them from getting in. In my case they we're chewing through the siding and the sheathing. When cleaning out the garage I noticed numerous holes all around between the studs a few inches above the bottom plate. I ended up cutting 1x8 pine and nailing it in between the studs. That was two years ago, and I have been mouse free ever since.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Sal For This Useful Post:
chronojosh (01-15-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 115

I'm sealing up the same place on my house right now. When I was picking up some great stuff at home depot last week, I noticed that great stuff has a product I haven't seen before. It's called great stuff pestblock. I don't know if I'd believe the marketing without some first-hand experience though. Give it a try and report back! (It was considerably more expensive though)

52Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote