Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge Vents and Soffit Vents

We've remodeled a 1400 square foot ranch style home built in the late 70s. The roof has a ridge vent and two gable vents but the soffit vents have been covered with insulation. I feel a pressure when I walk into the home and it increases greatly when the ac unit turns on. Do I need removed the insulation from soffit vents for proper air flow?

underpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

Attic ventilation works best with adequate soffit ventilation to pull in cooler air which will exit at the ridge and/or gable.

But I don't expect that attic ventilation will have any effect, good, bad, or otherwise, on "pressure" you might feel upon entering your home.

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

My ears clog when I am in the home, I pinch my noses to pop after about fifteen minutes. We've had the hvac system checked top to bottom and there are no problems with the system. Do you have any suggestions what could be causing my ears to feel pressure?
underpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

I can not see anyway the roof venting would have anything to do with it.
But you do need to open up those soffits and cover up the gable vents.
A ridge vent is useless when you also have gable vents.
The ridge will just suck air into the gable vents and never be able to suck out the hot moist air trapped in the rafter bays.