Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #1

Share |

Results of insulating my mom's attic

I got some good news today from my mom.

First I should start out saying that I spent a lot of time over the past couple of years up in her 2 attics (one very large and one extremely small), sealing, fixing a few things and putting down some plastic. This past Thanksgiving weekend (Friday and Saturday) were spent blowing in the cellulose with the machine - thankfully with a lot of help from my brothers. Sunday I spent the day cleaning up the mess and doing some other weatherproofing around the house. It's a big 1905 farm house that's been remodeled, but not well insulated.

Anyway, the good news is that she had no icicles hanging from her roof this winter and no huge ice dams, which have been there every year since I can remember back to my childhood. But the best news is that when the gas company came out to fill her propane tank each time this winter, instead of putting in almost 400 gallons, they were putting in 200 to 225 gallons. That's still an awful lot of gas to pay for, but it's better than it was.

I'll try to post a few pictures.

I know this isn't really much of a helpful thread, but hopefully it will inspire someone who is getting ready to take on the task of working in their attic. It's well worth the time and expense. Even if, like me, you're not a spring chicken anymore, you can do it.

Barb

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
asinsulation (03-20-2013), av1611 (03-20-2013), Gary in WA (03-23-2013), Ocelaris (04-02-2013), shumakerscott (03-20-2013)