DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Insulation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/)
-   -   Removing old fiberglass insulation around my pipes (http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/removing-old-fiberglass-insulation-around-my-pipes-140875/)

ROSSANO 04-20-2012 03:22 PM

Removing old fiberglass insulation around my pipes
 
First time poster! hope you guys can help!

Since there have been sort of health issues regarding removal of old fiberglass insulation.What is the best way to remove it? Should i get a professional to do it?

Thx

Dierte 04-20-2012 03:37 PM

Fiberglass or asbestus? If fiberglass than wear a respirator

ROSSANO 04-20-2012 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 49354
Quote:

Originally Posted by dierte (Post 903175)
fiberglass or asbestus? If fiberglass than wear a respirator

here is a pic

Maintenance 6 04-20-2012 04:29 PM

Wear a respirator and some gloves. Put the stuff into some heavy contractor type garbage bags and tie them shut. You will be fine. Paying somebody to do this will cost you big $. Reinsulate with the proper insulation for the type of pipe.

ROSSANO 04-21-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 903206)
Wear a respirator and some gloves. Put the stuff into some heavy contractor type garbage bags and tie them shut. You will be fine. Paying somebody to do this will cost you big $. Reinsulate with the proper insulation for the type of pipe.

Thank you!

when you say use the proper insulation, which one do you suggest?

Thx again!

Windows on Wash 04-21-2012 11:21 PM

They make pipe wraps.

Just figure out what size the pipe and there are different options.

Maintenance 6 04-22-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROSSANO (Post 903951)
Thank you!

when you say use the proper insulation, which one do you suggest?

Thx again!

It depends on what you are insulating. Domestic water lnes can use foam, heating should use preformed fiberglass. Refrigeration lines should use Armaflex.

ROSSANO 04-22-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 904222)
They make pipe wraps.

Just figure out what size the pipe and there are different options.

Thank you

ROSSANO 04-22-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 904353)
It depends on what you are insulating. Domestic water lnes can use foam, heating should use preformed fiberglass. Refrigeration lines should use Armaflex.

Thank you

M3 Pete 04-23-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 904353)
heating should use preformed fiberglass. .

I assume you are talking about heating ducts. Is there really such a thing as preformed fiberglass for that?

I know there are fiberglass wraps like these
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...ProductDisplay

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...ProductDisplay

You use this kind of tape to secure the plastic covering

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Heating-Venting-Cooling-Ducts-Duct-Tape/h_d1/N-5yc1vZariy/R-100575721/h_d2/ProductDisplay


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.