Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Share |

reduce sound, bedrooms to garage

My three bedrooms in my house are above the garage, and sound in the garage (car starting) can be easily heard in the bedrooms, besides the added thermal benefit of blow-in insulation (cellulose, airkrete, etc), which of them can also block the most sound coming from garage? Thanks!

Another related question is how to reduce the sound of opening/closing garage door from being transmitted upstairs.

sunlight33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Bill Kearney

The car noise could probably be reduced with decent insulation and perhaps two layers of 5/8" drywall. You could even go so far as to use decoupling clips and channel to hang the drywall from. That'd allow it to absorb the sound and not transfer any of it through to the rooms above.

But the door mechanism isn't going to be that easy. Since it needs to have a hard mount to the framing you're always going to have some noise being transferred through it. Not unless a decoupled frame was created to isolate the door tracks from the framing above it.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

Sound channel and double 5/8 drywall for the car noises. The new (expensive) garage door openers that mount to the wall next to the door are so quiet you might not even know they are there. We have installed several and I am always supprised at how quiet they are.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by one cut View Post
The new (expensive) garage door openers that mount to the wall next to the door are so quiet you might not even know they are there. We have installed several and I am always supprised at how quiet they are.
What's the model number? I am going to look it up.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Just know that while a motor might be quiet there's also the clunking of the door's wheels to consider. That noise is going to be transferred to the framing just as much as a knock on a door would be. I'd imagine there are higher-end door systems with quieter wheels and tracks.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote