Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

radiant barrier only?

hello, I am moving into a new to me house soon and there's a little crawlspace/attic thing that runs along the front wall of the upstairs, there are doors to get in in both upstairs bedrooms. It's convenient but there's absolutely no insulation in it. it's not even sealed properly, you can look in and see daylight at the bottom where it connects with the roof. I can seal that up with Great Stuff or something similar but what I'm wondering is since there's no insulation at all, I'm wondering if installing radiant barriers will be enough to make a difference. I could put fiberglass batting on the wall that is the bedroom wall. would sealing the gaps and putting in the radiant barrier spanning the bare 2x4's be enough to make a noticeable difference?

I have probably managed a horrible explanation of what I'm trying to do and I'm sorry for that, this is all new to me. This is a rental house, btw, and the owners are family and giving me a sweet deal on the rent so I don't think they'll be wanting to spend the money on insulation.

thanks so much for any help.

Last edited by bscruggs99; 02-04-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
bscruggs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

radiant barrier only?

I would not seal the soffit openings used to supply air to exhaust the attic moisture to keep wood framing from rotting out. Unless you live in a hot area, radiant does little. Insulation/radiant/venting does much more.

Gary

bscruggs99 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,090

radiant barrier only?

GO back and add your location to your profile.
Post some pictures so we can see what your seeing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

radiant barrier only?

the gaps don't look like they're made to be there, more like the house settled and the roofline and walls started coming apart. the area isn't that big so I can probably insulate it pretty cheaply then put up a radiant barrier as a little extra help. It's just that we're renting and don't want to spend too much money until we're sure we're going to be staying there for a while. Our daughter will have the other room upstairs so I'd like to at least get her side done so she can be more comfortable. I'll probably do some measuring this weekend to see how much insulation i'll need and try that.

thanks!
bscruggs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

radiant barrier only?

sounds like you are doing the opposite of what Gary initially told you.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote