Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

R19 / vaper barrier / non-vented crawls pace dripping wet insulation

I have a 1950's ranch that I hung R19 under the floor a few months ago, I laid a vapor barrier at the same time. I just went under to cover a strip of ground I knew I'd left last time when I ran out of vapor barrier and found that there is standing water in many places and the insulation is wet with periodic dripping thought the space. The foundation does not have any vents. What did I do wrong? What do I do now? Thanks, 1

1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Your ground vapor barrier should be goo'd to the walls and it should be taped or goo'd so as to not allow vapor through any seams. I would never use fiberglass (it sounds like that is what you did) but would either spray foam the ENTIRE floor/floor joist system with closed cell foam, or install rigid foam on the bottoms of the floor joists. (Tape and goo the foam joints). Read on buildingscience.com too. BTW: With any batt insulation in your situation the joists tend to be warmish except at the outer, exposed edge. That can cause condensation there, and rotting. That may be part of the problem.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 68

Do you have working gutters, no grades running toward the foundation, no mulch piled up againt the foundation, no flower beds forming ponds around the foundation.?
Do you have a french drain?
Sump pump?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 60

+1 to both comments from JK and Joe.

Is there bulk moisture getting in and are the crawlspace stem walls covered with a vapor barrier and air sealed. If not, you will continue to get condensation.

If the grading and bulk moisture is not an issue, I recommend going with a sealed and insulated crawl.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Thanks for the advice. I have a new roof/guttter/drywells and it's been dry around here since I installed the insullation/barrier a couple months ago so I don't think water is sneaking in the area. To make matters worse I'm selling the home and have an inspection scheduled for Tuesday. I just made a call to a crawlspace/insulation company to see how to proceed as I really don't have the time to try to do it myself. Thanks, 1
1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote