R 30 Insulation In Walls - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
ABS

Rewards Points: 10

R 30 Insulation in Walls

Can I install 91/2" thick R30 insulation in my 2x6 studded outside walls or will my R factor be reduced too much? We live on a very windy ridge and feel that R19 might not be enough.
Thanks

Advertisement

ABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

R 30 Insulation in Walls

Never put to thick an insulation in the wall. If it's compressed it's usless.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

R 30 Insulation in Walls

Dont compress fiberglass batts to fit a cavity shallower than what the batt is designed for. No matter how much fiberglasss is compressed, it will not stop draftiness - been there, done that, had to start all over again. You need to stop the airleaks in those walls. Seal up all the stud bays with good quality caulk - wherever two pieces of wood meet. That still might not be enough - air is like water in that it will find a way through. If you block one crack, it will find another. All cracks need to be sealed thoroughly in pretty much the whole structure in order to make a difference. And dont forget about those plumbing/electrical holes and chaseways.
Hates my roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

R 30 Insulation in Walls

I would use Roxwool, or Wet application dense pack in the wall space, vs. conventional insulation batts. Reason being, is that air moves too much through regular batts, along with noise.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

R 30 Insulation in Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I would use Roxwool, or Wet application dense pack in the wall space, vs. conventional insulation batts. Reason being, is that air moves too much through regular batts, along with noise.
+1

Batts are largely crap and if you get the high density stuff, they are expensive.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

R 30 Insulation in Walls

I only used them in my bathroom when we remodeled, due to I had a bag left, when we went around and did the rim joists in the basement. I wanted the house to still breathe a little, but not airtight downstairs, so that is why I used Kraft faced R-13.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote