Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #1

Share |

Quote for Crawl Space...Would You?

I live in wisconsin and i have a 1950's home with a dirt lined crawl space that's about 900 sq. ft.

There are 3 vents in it. From the looks of it, it's very dry down there and lots of spider webs.

He suggested that i keep the vents open and get vents that can be closed during the winter.

This is a quote that i got on putting a vapor barrier and what not. Would you do all of it?

this is a second quote

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Scully; 01-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
DIY staff

I suggest that you get at least one more bid----I'm not an insulation guy---the items mentioned sound like a sound method---but let's wait till one of the insulation people here wake up and check your proposal---Mike---

Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

How tall is the crawlspace wall and what are the foot print dimensions?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
How tall is the crawlspace wall and what are the foot print dimensions?
i'm guessing the walls are between 3-4 feet high. i don't have the exact foot print dimensions...maybe 900 sq. ft.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #5

i'm leaning towards to just doing the vapor barrier. can anyone offer some advice?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

And why not do it yourself? It's DIY 101.
Install automatic opening vents and never have to mess with them again. (you have no were near enough venting)
There about $17.00 at Home Depot and take all of 15 min. to install.
A roll of 6 mil. black plastic and some 16" insulation hangers is all you need to install a vaper barrier.
I measure and precut it before going under the house. Tack it down so it's tight along one wall and roll it all the way out. Once you reach the end pull it tight and tack it down, as you work your way back add some ore stakes.
The insulation hangers simply get bent in half to act as stakes to hold it in place.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
And why not do it yourself? It's DIY 101.
Install automatic opening vents and never have to mess with them again. (you have no were near enough venting)
There about $17.00 at Home Depot and take all of 15 min. to install.
A roll of 6 mil. black plastic and some 16" insulation hangers is all you need to install a vaper barrier.
I measure and precut it before going under the house. Tack it down so it's tight along one wall and roll it all the way out. Once you reach the end pull it tight and tack it down, as you work your way back add some ore stakes.
The insulation hangers simply get bent in half to act as stakes to hold it in place.
do you think insulating the walls and box sills are unnecessary?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #8

I don't understand why you would want to insulate the block walls. The crawl space isn't conditioned space, and you don't want a double barrier situation, that nice dry crawlspace will turn into a condenser.

I'm assuming you want to do this because your floors are getting cold/energy loss in the winter.

I agree with Joe, DIY forum, DIY.

If it were me, I'd start by sealing up any plumbing/electrical protrusions with Great Stuff foam, caulk or similar. I'd then use un-faced R19 or R30 insulation to load every joist bay as well as the rim/band joist ("box sill"), using insulation hangers. I recommend against adding a vapor barrier or faced insulation to the joists--again, double barrier=mold=sad face emoticons.

Agreed that you should lay plastic on the ground to keep ground moisture out, I'd go with 6mil though. As far as venting is concerned, I'd say your best bet is to always leave it wide open. If you shut it down in the winter, you'll get condensation on the block wall.

At 900 square feet you've got $500-800 in insulation and hangers (R19, R30 respectively), $25 in foam, $75 in 6 mil plastic and barrier tape, some etc and a couple tyvec suits and you're around $1000 for a warm floor DIY.
RenoStruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #9

let me assist with this a bit...

ok, if you have your heating pipes or ducts or anything of the sort in the crawlspace, it could beneficial to bring the crawlspace inside the building envelope...that would entail the 2 inches of spray foam, 6 mil poly on the ground, sealing your vents, and DO NOT ADDRESS any penetrations in the floor...this will allow the crawlspace to connect and breath with the home if done properly and not condensate...

if it is dead space, you want to take it out of the building envelope...That means you are going to seal the rimjoists ALL the way around the exterior perimeter, install KRAFT FACED insulation in the bays, DO NOT close off the vents, and although optional, i recomment a 6 mil poly vapor barrier for the ground...the vaopr barrier on the insulation is to keep the pressure boundary at your floor. the 6 mil poly is to keep moisture from coming up and evaporating, which would allow it to travel through the fiberglass, condensate there and weight it down. that is how fiberglass ends up sagging in crawlspaces among other reasons...the whole rule of a double vapor does not apply here, because you will have a large vented area between the 2 barriers.
asinsulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #10

asinsulation

Good point with the pipes, I was assuming nothing was proud of the joists--a practice I've just gotten a little to used to perhaps. Oops.

Being a DIY forum, and for all our edification, is there an alternative you'd recommend to using spray foam? Will the 6mil be sufficient to keep moisture at bay when bringing the raw ground into the envelope? How soon to replace, and are there any other precautions necessary during the cooling months with this setup?

I think spray foam is really 'cool' too, but a lot of readers here are looking for more affordable improvements, so an alternative would be useful.

Thanks!

RenoStruct is offline   Reply With Quote