Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Share |

Quick question about 4x8 foam

Hi everyone....I have searched this forum and everywhere else, but cant seem to find a solution....hope someone can help.

I live in a townhouse with poured concrete walls in basement, (middle unit) in Maryland, and getting ready to hang drywall. The front of my basement is 6' under ground and I'm stuck on what to do for insulation. I had to frame the walls 6" from the concrete wall due to plumbing so I'm wondering if I could use 2'' foam insulation on top of the concrete wall between the studs, just use batts, or should use both?

Hope this makes sense.....

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jeff

eurovw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

There has to be 2 or 3 hundred post on this one subject. Please take the time to look at some of the older post.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There has to be 2 or 3 hundred post on this one subject. Please take the time to look at some of the older post.

This is what I am doing (couldnt find the website earlier)
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ion-assemblies
The problem i have is that I had to start my framing 5'' from the concrete wall....after I install the XPS I will have a 3'' gap between XPS and framing....what can I use to make up that void?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #4

What do you mean "due to plumbing"? What do you have there that you think the wall has to be ahead of? Pics?

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Euro -

Just use the 2" XPS foam on the concrete and don't bother with the insulation in the stud wall wherever you decide to build the stud wall. In your climate, the soil is not that cold and you really would not be able to justify the cost of over-insulating, especially with batts that can hold moisture and feed mold if there is moisture.

For the stud wall, make sure you use pressure treated plates on the concrete floor and appropriate nails/connectors.

I assume this level is or will be conditioned space, so make sure you have air returns just off the floor. They can do wonders for uniformity and can benefit is you have AC. I have a single zone home with an open stairway and always can maintain a maximum temperature difference of 2F whether it is 100F or -20F outside.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 02-07-2012 at 09:06 AM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

You have this and the hijacked thread going at the same time on the same subject. Try and keep it to one thread.

Put the XPS against the foundation and leave small gaps by the plumbing to spray in behind them with 'Great Stuff'. Put the 2x4 framing right up against the XPS. No gaps. Gaps are bad.

Where do you live?

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
You have this and the hijacked thread going at the same time on the same subject. Try and keep it to one thread.

Put the XPS against the foundation and leave small gaps by the plumbing to spray in behind them with 'Great Stuff'. Put the 2x4 framing right up against the XPS. No gaps. Gaps are bad.

Where do you live?

B
I live in Maryland. The framing is already up. could I put the XPS up and just use insulation for 2x6 walls in between studs for fill up the gaps?