Preventing Rot/Vapor Issues In Bathroom - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Preventing Rot/Vapor Issues in Bathroom

The pictures show where the shower used to be. You can see the stucco is the only thing left in spots. The house is in zone 4c (Tacoma, WA), it was constructed in the early 1950s and the exterior wall, sill, rim joist and a few floor joists all needed to be replaced. Now that its done, it's time to insulate.

I was thinking spray foam would be best, but it's not in the budget. I have been researching Roxul and it looks like good stuff. It's 3-1/2" thick, R-15, and is unfaced. Any recommendations for the vapor barrier?

Since the original wallboard was rock-lath and plaster, it is more than 3/4" thick. To match the new with the old, I was thinking of using 1/2" polyiso foil-faced board under 1/4" drywall as the vapor barrier. I got the idea from Gary in WA in this thread (although in this case it's a ceiling.) insulating living space over garage

Any ideas or recommendations for the vapor barrier, or will my idea work?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Preventing Rot/Vapor Issues in Bathroom-img_6129.jpg   Preventing Rot/Vapor Issues in Bathroom-img_6122.jpg   Preventing Rot/Vapor Issues in Bathroom-img_7898.jpg  

Advertisement

tomdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,010

Good job! Just add solid blocking at the panel edges for shear as we are in a seismic zone.... I'll give you some light reading first, then discuss it; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...sNmmYf-psHZnLA

http://www.ewpa.com/Archive/2006/aug/Paper_296.pdf

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...-analysis/view

Brainy membrane HEM_23-4_p37-40.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Describe the wall material make-up; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...researchreport

Gary

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

Man you did a fine job on fixing that!
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,010

Other than the king stud/trimmer hinge joint at the old window double sill... with plywood keeping it in flex. Add a vertical scab to strengthen.

Gary

Tags
roxul , vapor barrier