Pour Foam Insulation Between Double Brick - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Pour Foam insulation between double brick

Hello,

I am living in an older home, build in 1927. There is no insulation in the walls and some of the walls are lathe and plaster. I just moved in last fall and I insulated the attic but I still found the house cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Well, upstairs was the worst, the bottom floor wasn't too bad. I have a friend who has a similar aged home and had spray foam injected into the walls between the brick and he noticed a big difference (however, he did a few other improvements at the same time). I think the product is: ICYNENE LD-CP-50 Pour Foam.

Also, I had an energy audit guy say that it is a good option as well. However, I can't seem to find much info on the benefits of this except from the makers of the product and the people who install it. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks.

Advertisement

devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

That "air-space" is there for a reason and is an integral component of the masonry structure. It (the space) creates a thermal barrier and also allows any moisture that gets through the mortar to dry properly. To inject those spaces with foam would only be the beginning of the end for the exterior structure. The foam will hold migrating moisture and if you are in a winter-freeze area expansion from freezing will eventually demolish the masonry wall for you.

For some one to claim they have filled that 1" space and noticed a difference is just plain baloney. They are just trying to justify a bad decision.

As you said...the only people recommending the procedure are the people selling the product to perform the procedure. I would leave it alone.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your quick reply. I am glad I posted here before going ahead with this.

However, I was actually mistaken on what my friend did. He put the insulation between the plaster and the brick. So they drill through the wall but not the brick and inject the foam in there. Does this sound like a good option? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks so much.
devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
That "air-space" is there for a reason and is an integral component of the masonry structure. It (the space) creates a thermal barrier and also allows any moisture that gets through the mortar to dry properly. To inject those spaces with foam would only be the beginning of the end for the exterior structure. The foam will hold migrating moisture and if you are in a winter-freeze area expansion from freezing will eventually demolish the masonry wall for you.

For some one to claim they have filled that 1" space and noticed a difference is just plain baloney. They are just trying to justify a bad decision.

As you said...the only people recommending the procedure are the people selling the product to perform the procedure. I would leave it alone.
+1

You are messing with what can be a devastating change in the building structure. There was a very good article in Green building Adviser.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...rick-buildings

Seal up the top plates of the wall (most like balloon framed) and be done with it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote