DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Pole barn insulations thoughts? DIY spray foaming. foam/batts?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Windows on Wash 
#1 ·
Building a pole barn and have pretty much decided on a thin layer of open cell against the metal sheeting to work as an air barrier, then follow up with glass batts.

I have not totally decided on a foam thickness but I know that can only really be estimated as it varies a bit.

The main issue is I need to do about 14,000sf plus a few other things so probably closer to 20,000sf. These little DIY kits are a joke. I realize there are some "pro" work arounds here but if I can shoot auto paint and bed liners, I can shoot foam.... I am not yet sure of the specific equipment though. Wish I could just rent the equipment.

Anyone have anything to add here? I was also considering 1/4" foam board over the building framing before sheeting but taped joints are known to fail over time from thermal moment. My air seal is VERY important. I also considered a Tyvek housewrap product but seems a bit hassle to do.. BUT maybe that is BS considering the hassles of spray foam???

Basically I can do a house wrap to get air seal and install more glass...Or open cell foam against the inside walls, backed up with batts?

I do NOT like the idea that fixing or replacing sheeting with foam could be an issue. House wrap should be easy enough but I am still not sure on seams on that product as well as the nail holes in it.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.