Peel And Stick Flooring And Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 512

Peel and stick flooring and insulation

My kitchen currently has peel-and-stick tile. It's peeling, and not sticking so well anymore, and I think I know why. The previous owner was a senior and, while the crawlspace is insulated and unvented, the floor was probably still a little chilly for her so they installed fibreglass batts under the floor. I'm guessing there is a paper vapor barrier on the upper side, resulting in some moisture being trapped in the subfloor. I'm going to install some new vinyl flooring, and I don't want to do so unless I can make sure it's going to "stick around" for a while. I improved the sealing and insulation of the crawlspace enough to keep it in at least the low 60s in the winter, but that's still a little chilly to walk on without shoes, so my plan is to keep the insulation in that area but remove the vapor barrier so that the moisture can escape. Does this sound like a good plan?

Advertisement

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,306

That will help with the floor temperatures but you will need to make sure that you bring the floor joists into the insulation layer because they are going to be your thermal bridges.

All of that being said, if the crawl space is sealed and converted to a insulated space, I don't hear any mention of conditioning the space.

If it is sealed, it requires conditioning now. Once the space is conditioned, any insulation layers along the floor is redundant.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 512

The crawlspace is joined to a basement under the original structure, and the (hydronic) heating system is located in said basement. The temperature is always between 65 and 75 degrees all year round.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,306

As long as the vapor barrier on the floor is correct and the crawl is airtight against outside air movement, blow some more conditioned air in there and you should be fine.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote