Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

Share |

Only R-9 Attic Insulation in Tennessee!!!???

I'm spending a week at my parent's house in Tennessee and I plan on blowing some cellulose in their attic...

Their house is a typical slab-on-grade 1,450 sq ft Ranch, built in 1993. Their ceiling joists are 2x4's, and the original blown-in cellulose is barely even covering the tops of the joists. I couldn't believe it! I'm guessing it's maybe R-9.

They just had a brand new gas furnace and 3-ton central air installed, and upgraded to a tankless gas Rinnai water heater, so hopefully this will help their monthly costs even more.

According to EnergyStar, recommended attic insulation for their area is R30-R60. I'd like to shoot for at least R-45. According to GreenFiber's website, that will mean close to 80 bags of cellulose.

They have soffit vents which means I'll have to get some baffles (I don't think there are any there). There are also no recessed lights to worry about.

As a Northerner, from Rhode Island, I've learned to take attic insulation very seriously as the heat in the winter is helped by gravity to make it's way up into the attic... Not so much in Tennessee where A/C rules. Is a high attic R-value still as important?

Any tips besides testing the blower before leaving the store, wearing breathing protection, and keeping the blower outside?

Thanks,
Nick

NTL1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

Do they even have soffit vents?
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Yes, there are soffit vents and gable end vents.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
STAFF

Sounds like a plan to me, I would go with as much insulation as I could as it does get hot as blue blaze here and sometimes in the winter it gets down fairly low. It will pay for itself over a short time just from keeping the heat out.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Sounds like a plan to me, I would go with as much insulation as I could as it does get hot as blue blaze here and sometimes in the winter it gets down fairly low. It will pay for itself over a short time just from keeping the heat out.
Sounds great. The only problem is that I only have this coming week to do it. I think it might be best to do it during the early morning, and after letting the attic fan run during the night...
The Following User Says Thank You to NTL1991 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-01-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #6

If not too late, air-seal first! http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-local/v...170a32100a05c7

http://www.homeenergy.org/show/artic...page/2/id/1360

Gary
Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL1991 View Post
Sounds great. The only problem is that I only have this coming week to do it. I think it might be best to do it during the early morning, and after letting the attic fan run during the night...

How did it go?

My house has about the same amount of insulation as you in some locations and slightly more in others.