Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

old walls with NO insulation-now what?

Redoing a bathroom, we found there is nothing inside the framed/stucco'd walls. Had to finish that bathroom without time to do anything.

I presume the solution in the bedrooms is to open up holes and blow in insulation? And we'd need holes both towards the top and towards the bottom, as there should be firebreaks in the middle?

What should we blow in? And if we're doing just one room at a time, can we do something ourselves, or need a pro?

Head_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
JOATMON

Welcome to the land of no insulation....

Let me guess....stucco on the outside?....house was built in the 50's?.....yep....you have no insulation.

Blow in? Maybe....except that all of your walls have fire blocking....i.e., about half way up is a block of wood between the studs....you would have to knock holes all over the wall.

You will just have to call around and get input from contractors.

My architect is also a contractor....he is in the South bay.....let me know if you want his #....the guy is good.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

If the walls are Drywall, you can cut a strip at the top to allow the crew to blow in. If GypRock (Gypsum board with Plaster over the top), they can use a hole saw to cut the holes also. Either way will work. As for fireblocking, they can take a camera like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JWUKOS/...SIN=B002JWUKOS
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote