Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Old insulation

I have 30 yr old insul in my attic( blown in ) its black in color and my kitchen contractor called it rock mold insulation. My qs is should I have the old stuff sucked out and new blown in, or just blow new over the top ????

msmith5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Old insulation

Rock Wool. Most likely the black is just dirt that has transitioned in through the vents, due to air flow. 30 years is not that old, and nothing to worry about. Your best bet is to get a second opinion of a insulating company that has experience in your area, not just some Joe that is doing it, because they lost their job due to the downturn in the economy.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Old insulation

Thanks Greg. Ya everyone has their own opinion on this matter. One contractor said that the old stuff isn't doing any thing at all and to pull it out. Others have said just go over with new. Hard to know what's the right thing to do ??? You have to ask your self.... What would Mike Holmes do????
msmith5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Old insulation

30 years old, you move it so that you can air seal any openings from the living space, then put it back, and top it off with new, so that you get the proper R-Value. Also while making sure that there is proper airflow from the soffit vents to the ridge venting. Find the right insulation company that will also do the rebates you will end up making money off of the job vs. losing money.

I have one quote sitting on my table right now, that the cost of the job is around $2800, but after rebates, looking about paying out of pocket about $800.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 84

Old insulation

As long as it is not contaminated with vermin feces or urine, it can be moved around (for air sealing as mentioned by Greg) and blown over top.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Just a DIY guy

Old insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith5554 View Post
Thanks Greg. Ya everyone has their own opinion on this matter. One contractor said that the old stuff isn't doing any thing at all and to pull it out. Others have said just go over with new. Hard to know what's the right thing to do ??? You have to ask your self.... What would Mike Holmes do????
Although Mike does good work, he has a seemingly unlimited budget. He'd pull it all out, spray foam it, and put blown in on top of that. That might be a good idea in Canada, with its harsh winters, but it's a substantial upfront investment.

For the rest of us without unlimited funds, a good air sealing with cans of expanding foam, spread the old insulation back, and top it off with more blown in is the likely answer. gregzoll nailed it.

Last edited by M3 Pete; 05-14-2012 at 12:16 PM.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 84

Old insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
Although Mike does good work, he has a seemingly unlimited budget. He'd pull it all out, spray foam it, and put blown in on top of that. That might be a good idea in Canada, with its harsh winters, but it's a substantial upfront investment.

For the rest of us without unlimited funds, a good air sealing with cans of expanding foam, spread the old insulation back, and top it off with more blown in is the likely answer. gregzoll nailed it.
+1

It is easy to do that when you have unlimited budgets as a result of free sub work.

The reality is that you can get 95% of the performance with spot sealing as compared to spray foaming the entire attic floor.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Just a DIY guy

Old insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
+1

It is easy to do that when you have unlimited budgets as a result of free sub work.

Especially when you have a sub that specializes in spray foaming, and is willing to come out for a lot of the small jobs that Mike has. For Mike, it's probably quicker than spot sealing, so it's good for his schedule.

It's a great deal for the subs, they get a load of free advertising (who would not want to hire a guy that Mike Holmes trusts?) in exchange for some free work.

The revenue from the show pays for the Holmes crew.

We should all be so lucky.

One thing spray foam is good for is to put in a vapor barrier where none exists. But in most places in the US, a vapor barrier is not required (or even recommended). And spray foaming is major dollars compared to other types of insulation.

Last edited by M3 Pete; 05-14-2012 at 02:30 PM.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4

Old insulation

Quote:

It's a great deal for the subs, they get a load of free advertising (who would not want to hire a guy that Mike Holmes trusts?) in exchange for some free work.
BINGO

Quote:
One thing spray foam is good for is to put in a vapor barrier where none exists. But in most places in the US, a vapor barrier is not required (or even recommended).
thank you for that statement. could you make a recommendation in my "drywall over P&L" thread ? (i don't want to jack this thread) thank you.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Coconut Pete's paella!

Old insulation

Quote:
(who would not want to hire a guy that Mike Holmes trusts?)
Ding Ding! I always chuckle when they show the "insta-insulation" guy pull up in his truck and there's a giant banner on the side that says "official insulation company of Mike Holmes"

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote