Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

Share |

OK to fill this lowered ceiling cavity with cellulose?

This is a lowered bathroom ceiling. I've popped up all of the floorboards & moved them out of the way. My thought was to blow cellulose into this area, up to the top of the joists, then replace the floorboards & roll fiberglass over top. The deepest part of this lowered area is 18" from the top of the joists. That seems like a lot of cellulose & I'm concerned about the weight on the ceiling. The drywall is 1/2", and the framing members that run parallel to the joists are 1x1s. The vent fan is IC-rated. There is also a recessed light not shown in the picture that is IC-rated and stamped airtight. Would it be ok to just fill this cavity with cellulose and be done with it (after I add soffit vents & rafter baffles)? Any advice or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
OK to fill this lowered ceiling cavity with cellulose?-dropped-ceiling.jpg  

MikeMKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Should be okay but why do you need 18"

I would still box out the can light regardless of rating. You have done a great job by the looks of it with everything else.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
MikeMKE (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

You can do that but by the looks of it those joist are not even close to being wide enough to be used as floor joist.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Should be okay but why do you need 18"
Good point. Would it be ok to have a gap between the top of the cellulose & the bottom of the floorboards if I'm rolling fiberglass over the top of the floorboards?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You can do that but by the looks of it those joist are not even close to being wide enough to be used as floor joist.
Nothing will be stored in the attic, so I don't know if you can really consider it a floor. Other than the fact that it has floorboards on it...
Old 03-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

If you got 13-14" of insulation, skip the insulation on top of the floor boards completely.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
If you got 13-14" of insulation, skip the insulation on top of the floor boards completely.
In the majority of the attic there's only a 4" gap beneath the floor boards, so I'll have to insulate on top there. Seems weird to have insulation rolled over the floor boards everywhere except one small area, but oh well. I think I'm just over-thinking things now
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #8

Cellulose can add up quickly; https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...h3VLQNBaXp54rA

OTOH, depends on the brand, if topping for settling (so no air gap to deck boards for currents) you may be at the ceiling drywall limit (check #s of your brand) eg.; http://www.greenfiber.com/step_one_-...o_install.html

Air seal the attic first, especially at the wall/ceiling drywall joints- as you did fan housing- canned foam; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...wWATQw&cad=rja

IMO, change the flex duct from fan to rigid pipe, insulate around it, have positive drain (slope) to exterior hood. May find existing with water in it as uninsulated now... fire-block the gable studs (at joist level) as appear balloon framed, if adding R-19 (low-density) batts, add a housewrap to prevent wind-washing from inherent gabled attic air convective loops.

Gary
MikeMKE (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

i bought air tight cans. they ARE NOT air tight. there are little holes all through them.
i used automotive high temp silicone to seal them up. and i didn't box them, though i only use LED's in them. any other bulbs i would have boxed them.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote