Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

no drywall insulation on commercial ceiling legal?

Look im not experienced in this field and i dont know crap about it, or commercial business either. But four friends of mine are decided in investing thier money into their own company.
I am however concered over the legality of one of thier decisions, they want to hang the insulation toward higher part of the the actual ceiling, but completely remove the drywall and grid part, basically you walk in and look up you will be able to see the metal beams cords ac vents what the lights are attached to and the plastic covering of the insulation...

I fear that there is some kind of law that specifacally prohibits insulation not having drywall between it and customers, but i am unable to find this out for sure, google has thus far prove very unreliable, and i am unsure of how else to proceed.

This is taking place in the conroe-ish area of Texas, if anyone actually knows anything about laws concerning this matter you input would be greatly appreciated and usefull, and it would be so much more beneficial if someone kind find some kind of source website that i can show them that says officially its not legal, otherwise im not going to convince them not to do it.

The energy effiency isnt even an issue being taken into consideration for this so dont bother with any of that, i need actually laws or where to find this type of information.

Also so sorry if this is the wrong place for my question im just getting frustrated with all the "hit and miss" on google...

Last edited by garrag; 04-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.
garrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Fire reg's prohibit the insulation from not having sheetrock over it. Maybe they need to talk to the fire marshall. Plus will need a Certificate of occupancy anyways.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

It probably depends on the type of building (combustible or non-combustible), because if you go into any big box store you see bagged insulation on the ceiling.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapple View Post
It probably depends on the type of building (combustible or non-combustible), because if you go into any big box store you see bagged insulation on the ceiling.
Actually that stuff has a fire retardant in it, along with the fact that there are sprinklers that cover not only the floor, but also covers the ceiling area.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,944

Really need to be asking the local building dept. On this site you will have no legal standing on any advice given and you will really have no idea who you could be talking to. People here are from all over the world.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote