Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need Help Insulating Cathederal Ceilings Hope I Can Explain Good.

My name is James from Ontario, Canada i am having a problem trying to figure out how to insulate a house my wife's father gave her has been a money pit we run of of money so need to finish as we can.
The house was built about 1960-1965, if sitting on a chair looking up at ceiling the beams on the ceilings are about 45'' apart the beams l think are 2'' x 6''.

Sitting in the chair looking up at ceiling the 2' x ? are placed above the beam these panels are about 5-6 inches i think, on opposite side of panels is tar and gravel the panels were the original roof.
Prior to my father in-law buying the house in 1986 the prior owners, built as our carpenter friend says a stick roof.

Between the attic side of ceiling panels and the outer shingle roof there is a 10'' air space between the 2 roofs.
Since my father in-law bought it in 1986 the roof was never insulated l am assuming the 5-6 inch original panels was considered the insulation.
Does anyone know if this should be insulated, if yes how should l do it?

If insulation should be done, should a 1x6 be nailed to bottom of beams and then put in pink insulation?
Or do l need to remove outer 2 layers of shingles and plywood and insulate then re-shingle?
Problem is can't get into 10'' space between the 2 roofs, the ridge roof vent only went about 10 ft across the roughly 45-50 ft long roof so the carpenter added 3 of those brown sq roof vents.

I wouldn't be able to put any of the styrofoam roof vents every other space between beams would adding 2-3 more of those brown sq roof vents be enough venting.
Last winter both eves troph's had huge ice cicles handing from eve troph as years before haven't seen them this year woulod those 3 vents added maybe giving enough air?

Please need all advice l can get .
Thanks James Reeves, Ontario, Canada

jimswoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 108

Need Help Insulating Cathederal Ceilings Hope I Can Explain Good.

Hard to picture what your trying to explain from your description.
Posting some picture is always a big help.
Some red flags if I understand what your saying is if it's really a stick built 2 X 6 roof spaced on 48" centers that's double the normal spacing.
I'm not getting this double description.
Some of it may be just the terms your using for parts of the roof.
Here's a web site with some roofing terms so where all talking on the same page and hopefully get you some good answers to your questions and less questions as to what you have there.
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/roof.html