Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #1

Share |

Need help exposing beams and keeping warm!

I have a 1830 Post and beam house that has had all the beautiful beams covered with lath and plaster, then sheet rock over that. I plan to rip all the lath and plaster out and expose the beams in one of the rooms. I am trying to figure out how to get some insulation behind the sheet rock. The main beams are 8 inch wide but the cross members are 4 inches and are centered in the beams and I would like to have them exposed as well. I have 5 inches from where the face of the sheet rock will be to the outer sheathing. I have an unlimited supply of poly iso boards that are 4ft x 4ft and are 3 3/4 inch tapered to 3 1/4 in. They are aluminum faced. I thought about using liquid nails or another heavy duty adhesive and glue the Poly ISO to the sheet rock then cut the sheet rock/polyiso boards to fit. Do I need a vapor barrier between the poly iso and the sheet rock? How about between the poly iso and the outside sheathing?

Would I be better off buying XPS and gluing the sheet rock to that with the same process? Can I push the XPS or the poly iso against the outer sheathing or does there need to be an air space between the two?

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #2

i would like to see pics of that.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Where are you located?

Gary