Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #1

Share |

Multi-layered framing with insulation

Okay, I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the sense that the OP got what he was looking for, at this point...

I have a similar/related situation, with a bit of a variation -- and I don't find a similar mention anywhere else, although I've searched through the forums pretty diligently...

House was built in the Pacific Northwest (Spokane, WA) in 1980. Similarly to the OP, it has a daylight basement (finished), with bottom three feet being concrete walls, below grade, and upper walls above grade, standard frame construction with fiberglass insulation. Drywall was adhered directly to the concrete. There's a 4-inch "ledge" at the top of the concrete, offset from the inside of the 2x4 framing atop it.

Winters get C-O-L-D here (0F to 30F, typically). Basement bedrooms get uncomfortably cold, while the rest of the house stays comfortable. While I'll also be looking for possible furnace/duct issues, I think a big part of the problem is with losing heat through the concrete, as the lower basement walls are noticeably cold to the touch.

Can I fur out a (lower) frame wall with 2x3 and use 2" XPS right over the existing drywall, then cover the furring with another layer of gypsum? Or am I asking for trouble (do I need to tear out the existing drywall, and start from scratch)? If going this route, Do I need to worry about moisture? My intent is to do this, and install built-in bookshelves along the "ledge," with trim panels below to simulate cabinet doors and give the appearance of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves.

I'd certainly appreciate any advice anyone has -- I've seen a lot of thoughtful, intelligent, experienced people lending their expertise, here.

Thanks in advance...

ThreeFingerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums!

On the other side of the mountains from me...
The foam board requires directly on the concrete, with only a tight glue pattern to prevent convective currents there: http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/743

The moisture could rot the framing without the foam there; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems

Directly on the concrete, savings below grade: http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf

Gary

Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #3

Gary: greetings from the east side of the Cascades! Thanks much for the links -- lots of great info there! Sadly, it seems that if I want a warmer basement, I'll have to tear off all that drywall that the wife just finished painting, put up the foam and new drywall, and invite her to spend a month of weekends repainting everything...

Guess the basement is gonna be a bit chilly for one more winter (at least), while I finish a few other projects underway...

Thanks, again -- much appreciated!
ThreeFingerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #4

You're welcome! That's why we're here. Come back when ready to paint again.....

Gary