Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #1

Share |

Moisture in crawl space

We own a summer camp in Maine that we rent out. The house is about 30 years old. We close the house up after Labor Day and Open it up on Memorial Day so no one occupies it during cold weather (we also get our water from the lake). The crawl space varies between 3-4 feet from the ground to the bottom of the joists. There is a 6 mil plastic barrier covering the ground. There are 8 ventilation openings around the foundation. The house originally had insulation between the joists as the original owners stayed into the start of cold weather. I have just had to pull out all of this insulation as the barrier of it has mold, the joists have dampness penetration marks about 1/4 of the way up them, there is moisture on the concrete foundation and dripping from the romex cabling!! This problem lasts during the short periods of humidity in the spring and early summer. I am thinking about buying plastic to staple to the bottom of the joists and not replace the insulation as no one is in the house in cold weather. My thoughts are that the plastic will protect the joists as well as the romex wiring. I would also wrap the plastic around the 4X4 supports. Will this solve the problem?? ANyone's thoughts are appreciated

Coke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #2

Moisture in crawl space

No that would trap the moisture in there and cause mold and fungus to grow even faster.

Just a guess is the crawl space lower then the outside grade?
I'd also guess there's no gutters on this building.
Is the area around the foundation higher then the surrounding grade?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #3

Moisture in crawl space

I'd suggest you read on buildingscience.com about crawl spaces. Absolutely do not install that visqueen, as joe said. If you ever want to insulate, install rigid foam on the bottom of the floor joists and seal them up real well. Also, close the vents so you can heat (condition) the crawl space when you are there heating the place.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

Moisture in crawl space

That sure sounds like what you've got is your more-humid summer air entering the crawl, which is cooler enough to let the moisture literally dew right out of the air.
as already said, plastic on the bottom of the joists would make it much, much worse. Assuming you've got really good plastic down, the answer is probably to seal the vents and condition the space. Check with local code office, as you might be able to run a dehum easily and inexpensively, or you may have to use hvac air.
CrawlSpaceMoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Moisture in crawl space

Time to seal up that crawl and/or contact a spray foamer (preferably someone who know what they are doing).
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #6

Moisture in crawl space

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-crawlspaces/

In the vinyl areas just use f.g. and housewrap.

Gary