Moisture Behind The FG Blanket... - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 260

Moisture behind the FG blanket...

So continuing with removing the FG blanket insulation and plastic vapour barrier... and i found three damp spots and random small mold spots (1/8 in at most) and cleaned it (with water and vinegar) less than 10 so far. Probably re-clean it with lysol, vin, vinegar, baking soda and water combo next...

Check the pix outs... Clearly there is moisture. how do i fix this? Is this an outside fix? or inside fix? is it even something to fix? (assume it will dry out).

The FG blanket is fine... no dirt or mold behind it.

i will be dry-fitting XPS foam boards over the areas, just so i have insulation. But if i need to address this before framing, i would like too.
Attached Thumbnails
Moisture behind the FG blanket...-20140329_120349.jpg   Moisture behind the FG blanket...-20140329_120332.jpg   Moisture behind the FG blanket...-20140329_120356.jpg   Moisture behind the FG blanket...-20140329_120418.jpg   Moisture behind the FG blanket...-20140329_120412.jpg  

Advertisement

Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,244

Around the beam is pretty normal. Probably just difficult to get the plastic sealed up and around.

Check to make sure outside is not weeping and letting bulk moisture price.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

what do you mean by "letting bulk moisture price"

i am going to check outside tomorrow...

is the moisture in the pictures normal?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

Its gone! The moisture is gone! I left the concrete walls uncovered over night and all the moisture is gone this morning. the walls no longer feel clammy and wet, but dry.

The humidity level is also 28% in the basement now.

I think this is a good sign right? With the plastic vapour barrier gone, the concrete walls are breathing. Now, i will glue the foam boards and that should make the overall situation better, right?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,244

Plastic vapor barriers are a nightmare if they aren't done 100% perfect.

Start with the rigid and be sure to seal up and insulate the bands and you should be golden.

Leave an inspection area if you have any termite concerns (not sure Canada does).
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,020

Are you sure that centralized moisture is from the interior, could you pull the 2x and look behind it? Did you check your siding outside? Pull some vinyl,(if) and check the WRB to extend down past the mudsill plate onto the concrete wall? Is water entering at that joint? Did the poly have any big gaps where the moisture is located before you pulled it off?
Cut/lift the sticky sill sealer where it hangs inside, wet under there?

Gary
PS. you cannot "dry fit" fb and leave it there without gluing it and air-sealing the perimeter/joint or moisture from basement humidity will condense on the colder concrete wall under the foam board.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-31-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #7

Hi Gary

I will double check the mud sill and the bolt this weekend. I do remember checking these areas when we saw the moisture and noticed that it was dry. Also the area above it was dry.

What do you mean by "pulling the 2x"? what is "WRB"

We dont have siding, just a brick house and the concrete wall goes above the around at least 1 ft on the outside before the brick starts.

what you saw in the pic is the moisture that we found. There was one more area, i forgot to upload the pic, but that area has dried up as well..

I had glued the boards to the concrete walls sunday evening. and will tape this weekend the joints.

i got two kids and they run a muck... you should have seen what happened tonight. Going to post that in electrical i think.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,020

If that thin foam board is rated at R-5, and you frame a 2x4 wall in front, the foam will be at 4C and 35%Relative Humidity above grade and couple o0f feet below grade for your 3 coldest months averages; http://www.worldweatheronline.com/To...ntario/CA.aspx RH higher than that will condense in the cavity on the fb and insulation/wood framing. With R-10 XPS and R-15 Roxul, temp will be 7C and 43% RH, much better for the coldest time of year. IF using the thinner/and it is only R-5 XPS (1") be sure to control the basement RH during that spell...

I was referring to the wood horizontal piece below the white (drywall?) in last picture- to remove and examine under- not if it is attached structural framing.

Gary
Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #9

thank you everyone...

double checked the area and it was all dry.

Advertisement