Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

long term basement project insulation

Step 1 of my long term basement (2 yr?) project is to insulate it. It would make sense to insulate both the ceiling and walls at the same time. However, in the interests of time and money (other projects are sucking up the budget this year), I am thinking of only insulating the ceiling for now. This way I reduce my household heating/cooling bills since I wouldn't be insulating the basement floor until the walls are up -- which makes insulating the walls not as helpful as insulating the ceiling.

Questions:

1. Does this make sense?

2. With all the pipes, ducts and wires in the basement ceiling, would it be better to use rolls or batts?

3. I can use R19 due to the 6" joists, but is there a point to using R19 vs R13? I was just thinking that my outside walls probably have R13 since they are 2x4 walls and thats where I'm probably losing the most heat. R19 also costs about 50% more than R13 per foot -- will I save that much more given that this is the basement ceiling and the basement will eventually be insulated? So I am just curious if there have been any studies etc which would support one option or the other.

saimike is offline   Reply With Quote