Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Remodel Surprise

I ‘m working on a house (built in ’96) that was sheathed with sheets of ¾ inch 4' x 8' plywood and sheets of Polyisocyanurate; that is some of the framing is covered with plywood and other portions with Polyisocyanurate. Then the whole structure was wrapped with Tyvek. The structure’s interior stud bays are filled with Kraft faced R19 fiberglass. The Kraft paper (facing the exterior) has turned black and the sole plates all show signs having been wet, no mold is visible. The interior side of the plywood sheathing shows signs of weathering. All of this was discovered while gutting the kitchen for a remodel. Since we have the drywall removed anyway what measures would you suggest on sealing and insulating this area? Thank you in advance for any information you can offer.

ToolMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Kitchen Remodel Surprise

Got a picture of the outside in this area?
Is there Storm and Ice Shield on your roof under the shingles up at least 4'.
Is there a vent through the roof n that are that may have a leaking seal?
Window on that wall?
Shingles left to short on the edge of the roof? They need to be hanging over at least 1/2"

Old 07-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
STAFF

Kitchen Remodel Surprise

The facing on the insulation should go to the inside of the house, not the outside, unless there is something new I don't know about.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Kitchen Remodel Surprise

Hey big Jim,

Thanks for responding. The facing is towards warm side or interior of the room. The portion that has turned black is where the fiberglass is glued to the paper. It looks like oil soaking through a brown paper bag. Whatever this stuff is it only appears on the insulation that was used on the exterior walls.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
STAFF

Kitchen Remodel Surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolMonger View Post
Hey big Jim,

Thanks for responding. The facing is towards warm side or interior of the room. The portion that has turned black is where the fiberglass is glued to the paper. It looks like oil soaking through a brown paper bag. Whatever this stuff is it only appears on the insulation that was used on the exterior walls.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I have seen that several times when the heat melts the adhesive, I don't think it will affect the efficiency of the insulation though.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #6

Kitchen Remodel Surprise

Hey joecaption,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if there is a barrier in place. There is a vent for the kitchen sink on the north wall and both walls have windows. I'll climb up tonight a take a closer look.
Bear in mind that the kitchen is sandwiched between the main house and the garage. There are two exterior walls a north and a south, both have this issue. The south wall is setback 5 or 6 feet and the roof serves as the porch roof as well. Would a moisture barrier extend 4' up the roof of the south wall? If there isn't a leak how would go about air sealing the area and insulating it?

P.S. I will post some pictures
Old 07-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #7

Kitchen Remodel Surprise

The black side should be the asphalt adhesive between the fiber/paper, this is made that way. The paper is your code required vapor retarder, if foamboard is not thick enough per your location; (cities below map) http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._11_par002.htm

Prevent condensation; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...r-requirements

Gary

Tags
insulation