Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Just completed Attic Insulation Project!

First post on the forum for me! My wife and I purchased our first home at the end of summer 2011. The home was built in 1919 and has a fair mix of small projects to complete, mostly in efficiency and insulation.

We had a quote for blown-in insulation which came in at $1800. The insulation 'expert' didn't seem to know anything and refused to quote addressing any issues with ventilation, therefore I decided to do the research and labor myself.

I added R-30 unfaced batts to the existing 2-4 inches of loose fill mineral wool / fiberglass insulation, and also installed ventilation ducts through the roof rafters. In the spring, I will verify whether or not I need to enlarge the soffit vents on the exterior to meet modern ventilation recommendations.

(Photos 3&4) One question I have is how to properly insulate around the chimney. The chimney stack is used for both a gas fireplace and furnace exhaust. Currently, there is roughly an 18" x 'length of the chimney' x 18" deep gap right next to the chimney which has random loose fill insulation in it. I left it uncovered (had it covered in the picture just to see how well the insulation would stay there) for now. Is insulating around a chimney a DIY type job, or is it something that requires a expert in chimney's?

(Photo 5) In the last picture, I found some water damage where the chimney meets the peak of the roof. I can't tell if this was existing staining or recent. We do know that the roof has been replaced with the past 3-5 years. Any advice on how to proceed here?
Attached Thumbnails
Just completed Attic Insulation Project!-img_1694.jpg   Just completed Attic Insulation Project!-img_1687.jpg   Just completed Attic Insulation Project!-img_1699.jpg   Just completed Attic Insulation Project!-img_1702.jpg   Just completed Attic Insulation Project!-img_1714.jpg  

Last edited by LuckyFoot15; 01-02-2012 at 06:35 PM.
LuckyFoot15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

Use unfaced fiberglass insulation.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

Same as a furnace flue; use metal and fire-foam (unless there is a liner), then insulation: http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...s/Step-By-Step

And page #49 here; http://www.nybtg.com/downloads/therm..._checklist.pdf
I hope you air-sealed the rest of the attic before insulating....

Gary
Old 01-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Thank you for the links on how to work around the chimney. That looks like something I can do myself with a little more research.

The ceilings of the house are all plaster. Prior to insulating, I sealed around all the ductwork and electrical that was penetrating the attic. The wastewater vent stack had a 14"x24" hole that you could see directly to the basement...which the previous owner just threw faced batts of insulation down. Thinking of it, I now need to dig into the chimney hole to confirm the previous owner didn't do the same in that hole.

I forgot to follow-up on the first post pricing discussion. Total cost so far has been under $300, minus whatever we'll get back in tax savings. The air-sealing was a $200 additional cost from the contractor...cost me $20 worth of materials at Menards. HA!

Last edited by LuckyFoot15; 01-02-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #5

I have more work to do up there. With the snow we just got, it's 24F outside today and the attic is around 40-50F depending on the zone. It's fairly obvious that heat is leaking through the area surrounding the chimney, and the soffitt vents are sufficiently clogged with paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyFoot15 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-21-2012)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #6

Just purchased a home built in 1900. Same thing in attic no insulation Did you also insulate along the rafters to the ridge?? I need to add soffit vents, and a ridge vent and then I will add the rafter vents as well....
johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Insulation plane is to follow the envelope layer.

If the attic floor is the air/envelope layer...that is where the insulation goes as well.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Insulation plane is to follow the envelope layer.

If the attic floor is the air/envelope layer...that is where the insulation goes as well.
Can you explain in DIY terms Not sure I fully understand what the "envelope layer" is

johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote