Isulating A Garage Ceiling With Unfaced Insulation. - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Isulating a garage ceiling with unfaced insulation.

I am installing insulation in the ceiling of my garage. The bays are about 12 inches by 16 inches by 25 feet. I was given a ton of leftover pieces that are 24 inches wide and about 6 inches thick. What I have been doing is cutting it long ways to 16 inches and stacking it in the bay. I will take 2 of the leftover 6 inch wide pieces and stack them on a 16 inch piece and place it up in the ceiling. This is the most difficult part. Does anyone know of any tricks or suggestions to help make this eaisier?
Currently I'm using the wire insulation supports to hold the insulation in the bay. Then the plan is to use fan fold .25 inch foam board to hold it up and give it a more finished look. Later on if I decide to finish of the up stairs I will have someone install the proper vapor barrier, and whatever else is necessary to make it up to code.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Advertisement

raidencmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,262

Re: Isulating a garage ceiling with unfaced insulation.

Finishing upstairs will be a whole other set of concerns, but for now try cutting your 24" wide batts into 15" inch pieces resulting in 24 x 15 strips. The 15" plus or minus is intended to be a nice friction fit to keep them in place. Minimal waste and when you install them stagger the seams.

The most important part will be air sealing up through the insulation. If the attic space above is open to the attic space over the house you must install an air tight fire rated barrier and similar approved access.

bUD

Advertisement

Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14,010

Is this an attached garage?
Your doing this backwards.
Should be vapor barrier, 5/8 fire code sheet rock, then the insulation on the top side.
Unfaced insulation is not going to stop airflow and without the sheetrock would not pass inspection anyplace I've ever lived.
Make sure you've already installed all your wiring before doing anything.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is this an attached garage?
Your doing this backwards.
Should be vapor barrier, 5/8 fire code sheet rock, then the insulation on the top side.
Unfaced insulation is not going to stop airflow and without the sheetrock would not pass inspection anyplace I've ever lived.
Make sure you've already installed all your wiring before doing anything.
Can you show me a picture of what you are describing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
raidencmc is offline   Reply With Quote