DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Insulation (
-   -   Insulation wrapped in plastic? (

firsttimeremode 09-17-2012 09:08 AM

Insulation wrapped in plastic?
Where can i find fiberglass insulation that is wrapped in plastic? My dad used to put this in the walls and ceilings of his rentals, and i need some to replace the wet insulation in my guest bath ceiling. All i found at Lowe's was blown-in and normal fiberglass batting and rolls. Where do they sell the fiberglass with plastic around it?
My dad said he got his at Lowes, so i guess they have discontinued it.

joecaption 09-17-2012 09:12 AM

Go back and add where you live to your profile and someone may be able to tell you.

Go on the companys website that makes it and there should be an area where it list where to by it.

You did find out where the leak was and fixed it, right?
Insulation wrapped in plastic will do nothing to prevent more damage if there's still a moisture problum.

bbo 09-17-2012 09:17 AM

you are looking for poly wrapped

it doesnt say here, but the JM site has a nice chart for determining poly wrapped.

hopefully someone like GB will chime in with some info to help you determine if poly wrapped is appropiate for your application. ( recommendations do change regarding best practice for vapor barriers )

firsttimeremode 09-17-2012 09:22 AM

im in east texas

firsttimeremode 09-17-2012 09:26 AM

bbo: that is similar to what im looking for, except ive been told that for normal home construction with 2x4's, you are supposed to use R13 insulation. I think the rafters are 2x6's, but the same insulation should work. I wonder if would have it.

Joe: No the moisture problem has not been fixed because it hasnt stopped raining long enough to fix it. Once the sun comes out and dries the roof a bit, i will try to fix the leak and then fix the damage. I just need to know who sells the proper insulation

Gary in WA 09-18-2012 05:10 PM

No wrapped or faced cavity insulation for your location (main reason why you can't find it locally); Fig.4;
Need an air-space if rafters unless "closed roof".


firsttimeremode 09-19-2012 08:04 AM

Gary, that is for walls. I need this for a ceiling, not a wall, and im not in a heat-humid climate, im in a mixed climate. I need a vapor barrier because my roof and walls are made of tin, which will condensate in the winter. There has to be a barrier.

wewantutopia 09-19-2012 11:08 PM

is this what you are looking for?

Gary in WA 09-20-2012 12:25 AM

Read "Mixed climate" on that same page, same link. With both sides a vapor barrier;
Use the most you can fit with an air-space above.


Windows on Wash 09-20-2012 06:18 AM

What you are referring to is PSK (Poly Scrim) fiberglass.

Be careful because that is a Class 1 Vapor retarder and if you have any vapor barrier on the other side of the wall, you have a vapor trap.

If you have moisture in the insulation already, you need to get that moisture out of the bathroom via proper ventilation.

If you get the moisture out and have an airtight drywall layer, there shouldn't be much moisture getting in there.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1