Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

Share |

Insulation types and construction year

I'm looking to buy a home and curious if there are general guidelines as to when a home was built and what kind of insulation it might have? For example our current home built in 1915 had no wall insulation when we bought it. Ended up getting some cellulose blow in. When did fiberglass batts started being used in new home construction? Was there any kind of insulation being used between none and fiberglass batts? I'm guessing this may vary depending upon region and a variety of other factors, but curious nonetheless as I start looking at houses to buy. I am located in SE Wisconsin if that would matter.

PixelPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

There is no real specific timeline for materials X vs. Y. They have been intermixed over time and you could have any number of things up there.

Be sure that you don't have vermiculite in this case as that is the most injurious to your health if disturbed.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

My current house built in 1959 has fiberglass batts. They are owens corning with paper vapor barrier. The printing is kind of cool on them as it States 'new" all over it. Must be that they came out with it around that time frame. Odd thing about it is that it is only 1 1/2" thick. Most of it has been removed and replaced.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I've seen batts printed with Johns-Manville that were about 1-1/2" thick and contained ground up wood/paper fiber. Paper on both front and back. Probably from mid 1940's. Looked like a major fire hazard to me. I've also come across fiberglass batts contructed the same way in houses constructed late 1940's. It probably depended on location and how good the advertising was in the area. windows is right about the vermiculite. Millions of homes had that stuff dumped in over the years and it shows up often in older houses as an added material.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote