Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

insulation reinforcement?

(location Easter central Pennsylvania, new NJ)
I'm insulating the attic room ceiling in an old (year 1888), regular sharp pitch roofed house. The beams are not very deep and after installing the plastic ventilation baffles the remaining insulation space is filled by just a 3.5" thick roll of insulation. Question: would it help or just be wasting money to put a .25" layer of rigid foam board over the entire inside surface before installing the sheetrock? Doubt crossed my mind when I read the Owens-Corning .25" foam board description as designed for exterior applicantion beneath exterior sidings; this made me wonder if putting the rigid foam board on the inside side of the insulated space would not help much to reflect whatever heat transfer happens into this narrow insulation space? In short, would the layer of rigid foam board right beneath the sheetrock on the inside help keep the heat out of the attic room or more be a waste of money?

Last edited by DiegoJames; 04-05-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: insulation issues needs to know temps.
DiegoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

#1, Need to go back and add your location for questions like this.
Just go to quick links to edit.
Really should have added onto the rafters so you could fit in the right sized insulation.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #3

Thanks joecatpion. I added my location to the original post (Easter central PA near NJ). Adding onto rafters was not an option as the original room was designed to accommodate comfortable headroom as it was originally designed. Adding to rafters would have cramped the room which is greatly more negative than having the room less than perfectly insulated.
So, back to the question: Does adding a layer of interior rigid 1/4" foam board right under the sheetrock help or do little?
Old 04-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 80

1/4" would be about useless and be a royal pain when it comes time to sheetrock. If you do go with foam your going to have to use much thicker.
That ceiling should have had about R50 of insulation.
Spray foaming would have been another way.
Windows on Wash (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #5

Thanks joecaption. Your feedback helped. (answered my question).