Insulation Question For Vaulted Home - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Insulation question for vaulted home

I have a manufactured double wide house with vaulted ceilings I've measured the inside / outside pitch. The inside pitch is 12/2 and the outside pitch is 12/4. Since the house is a double wide i measured half of the width which is 12.5 feet. I've done some calculations and at 12.5ft the outside is 150/50 and the inside is 150/25. That would leave me with roughly 25inches of room towards the top of the house correct?

I have soffit vents going around the entire house. I do not know what i currently have for insulation in the house. I have no way to check the insulation myself. I had an energy audit and the guy said he figured it was R-19 on the roof. I live in WI and that is very low. If i were to add insulation what would be the best approach?

Going in from the roof every few feet, adding insulation, and then repairing the shingles??... Is there any way i can check the level of insulation that i would currently have in the roof?? The only way i thought would be to cut a hole from the garage and inspect it from there. My house has ridge vents but i'm not sure if i could peel them up to check?...

I'm trying to make my house as energy efficient as possible. I've already air sealed it and now i wanna see if i need insulation / how much i could add.

Questions
How much room do i need to allow the roof to breath? If i were to add insulation would i need 1 inch of room between the insulation and the top, 2 inches... 3?...

Advertisement

Talgonadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

If the pitch is steep, an unimpeded 1" can do it most times. 2" is plenty and usually allows for some leeway.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Is my pitch considered steep? I figure once I find out how much insulation I have ill then determine if I should consult somebody who would install it
Talgonadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

2-4:12 is not considered steep.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote