Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Share |

Insulation question

I am going to be adding additional batt insulation to my attic. Currently there is not much barely meeting the top of the 2x4 joists. I know your supposed to add additional perpendicular to what is there but can I go parallel? Also, for ceiling boxes for fans and lights can I go right over it with insulation?

mikem201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Insulation question

You would be best to air seal around the bath fan, any places that wires come through the top plate, and around any lighting fixtures or boxes that are up in the attic. After that is done, then have more blown in, until you either meet or exceed the R value, that is required by your area for insulation.

Adding batts can trap moisture if done with the wrong ones, or not even do anything at all other than drain your pocket book, if not done with the proper R value.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You would be best to air seal around the bath fan, any places that wires come through the top plate, and around any lighting fixtures or boxes that are up in the attic. After that is done, then have more blown in, until you either meet or exceed the R value, that is required by your area for insulation.

Adding batts can trap moisture if done with the wrong ones, or not even do anything at all other than drain your pocket book, if not done with the proper R value.
I am adding unfaced batts so trapping moisture is not an issue. Ok as I said i am using batt not blow in. So, can you answer my question about adding it parallel or does it have to be perpendicular? I will using acoustical sealant around the boxes and recessed housings.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Insulation question

there are clearances that MUST be maintained around pot lights and bath fans etc for the electrical and fire code/safety. I am not an electrician but you may want to post a question in the electrical forum at the top of the page about what they are. there are also forums for carpentry and construction for the insulation question. may speed up the time it takes to get an answer if you post there too.

Last edited by yuri; 03-11-2013 at 12:19 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #5

Insulation question

I am not an expert but my 2nd layer of insulation is going the other way, i think it would be better. i am also going to blow in some to get up to R-60.

As far as lights go, and fans boxes keep the insulation back about 3 inches unless the light has IC stamp on the top then you can cover it.
rick31797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
HVAC Tech/Owner

Insulation question

If I was adding batts to an attic, it would be perpendicular to the joists to eliminate insulate the wood to prevent thermal bridging.

Also, I wouldn't be laying batts in my house and would get it blown in.
Its cheaper to just get it blown in than batts because batts are more expensive, it would be done in a couple of hours, etc. (after all the sealing ofcourse)
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Insulation question

Merged threads.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Insulation question

You can put it in any way you want. The reason for going perpendicular is to minimize thermal bridging at joints. There are no joints in blown in so its not an issue, thats what the others are trying to tell you.

I suspect you are talking about the lower chord of trusses being 2 x 4's. I did not think that anybody put R-11 in ceilings, even with trusses. House must be really old or minimally built.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Insulation question

If you are glutton for punishment, do the batts. If you want to do it easier, just get it blown in.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
If you are glutton for punishment, do the batts. If you want to do it easier, just get it blown in.
cost is too much.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #11

Insulation question

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

Insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem201 View Post
cost is too much.
How much is your time worth?

You will need to figure that into your analysis of cost vs. expense.

Blown in insulation is also a bit better (cellulose) at preventing convection and getting installed properly.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote