Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

Insulation Dilema- Vaulted/Cath. Ceiling

i am hoping to get some feedback on the issue I have found in my house while redoing our dining room. The electrical issues that can be seen in the photo's are one of the reasons I pulled the drywall to begin with and are being corrected. My dilemma at the moment is how to properly insulate this area of the house.

The roof/ceiling is 2x4 construction and pretty much "Non Vented" (to the outside of the house anyway). Whoever re drywalled this room at sometime before I owned the house installed FG insulation in some places and none in others. It was poorly done. The drywall is chalky and feels dried out. I am going to pull the rest down and redo it all but my dilemma lies in how to insulate this area the right way.

In this photo it shows the lower side of the room. The wall joins the dining room and our garage... Sooo obviously not vents here.

http://craftwerks.smugmug.com/Other/.../IMG1221-M.jpg

In this photo, It shows the higher side which shares the wall with out kitchen. There is no blocking and it is open to our attic space.

http://craftwerks.smugmug.com/Other/.../IMG1220-M.jpg

Here is an overall shot of the ceiling.

http://craftwerks.smugmug.com/Other/.../IMG1222-M.jpg

Here is the adjacent room that is also vaulted. This has been poorly insulated as well (from the inside and covered with bead board) and is going to get redone. This room has 4x6 beams, T&G for the ceiling.

http://craftwerks.smugmug.com/Other/.../IMG1223-M.jpg

My plans are to have it insulated from the outside when we redo our roof so that we can leave the beams and T&G exposed.

I am in Southern California FYI.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JLOC; 01-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.
JLOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Can you post a outside shot from roof level, then one from the ground also, so that people can get an idea of what the roofline looks like. If it was me, and I was going to do it correctly, I would be going with spray foam on the roof.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Can you post a outside shot from roof level, then one from the ground also, so that people can get an idea of what the roofline looks like. If it was me, and I was going to do it correctly, I would be going with spray foam on the roof.

Will try and get a few pics showing the ext. in a bit.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

Here is a shot of the roofline.

The lower level to the left is the garage.

http://craftwerks.smugmug.com/Other/.../M/Image-M.jpg
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Standard roofline, I would treat it as that. If it was vaulted, then yes insulate outside, but in this case, insulate the bottom side, maybe reflective foamboard with the foil facing the sheathing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply....

Will I not have to worry about any condensation build up as it is a non vented area of the roof?

Should I go as thick as possible on the foamboard or no?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

I would still vent the space. When spray foam is used, or the reflective foam board is used, it then creates a thermal break.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #8

Venting isn't much of a possibility.... As I mentioned above, The lower side of the room shares a wall with the garage so there is no way to have incoming air from the outside. The high side I could leave open to the attic but no way to vent to exterior.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOC View Post
Venting isn't much of a possibility.... As I mentioned above, The lower side of the room shares a wall with the garage so there is no way to have incoming air from the outside. The high side I could leave open to the attic but no way to vent to exterior.
You can probably drill some cross over holes in the rafters (as long as they don't weaken the structure) to get some air over to those rafter bays.

You could also rip some kirf cuts in the foam if you are going to apply that over the rafters to allow some cross over ventilation.

What is the garage like? Attic or vaulted?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #10

The garage does not have an attic space. It is exposed 2x4 framing like this room except it is not insulated or drywalled.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Exterior Construction

Vent that section of the garage where it connects via the eaves and close off those few rafter bays with drywall to prevent it pulling air from the garage.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Vent that section of the garage where it connects via the eaves and close off those few rafter bays with drywall to prevent it pulling air from the garage.
Thanks, I will look into that... That very well might be an option.

Any any ideas, thoughts on leaving it closed and spraying foam?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Exterior Construction

I would probably go with greg's recommendation of rigid foam with a foil facer and vent the roof.

You are not too worried about heat loss of there and thermally breaking the roof assembly would go along way to helping with the cooling and heating load.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #14

Where are you located in S.Cal.? There are 3 zones there; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...001_par001.htm

No foil-faced foam board on the rafter bottoms in your location, especially if you run AC, the rafters will rot without ventilation.

Gary
Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Where are you located in S.Cal.? There are 3 zones there; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...001_par001.htm

No foil-faced foam board on the rafter bottoms in your location, especially if you run AC, the rafters will rot without ventilation.

Gary
Gary,
I am in 3B. (los angeles) was the closest they listed.