Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #1

Share |

Insulation for Childs Room

Hello everyone,

I am going to start a project soon. My son's room has alway's been the coldest room in the house. Not only is there no insulation (none of the original rooms have it), but his room takes a direct hit from the wind, creating a strong draft there. To make matters worse, the original owner tried to tack up some kind of "stick-on" wall board in an attempt to make he walls thicker and now the walls are in terrible shape.

So it's time for the walls to come down, and some nice new insulation and sheet rock (and paint and trim of course) to come in.

My question is this. I hear there's all kinds of new insulation products out there. One friend says theres this "denim" product that best, another friend tells me he just used some kind of foam board and thats the best. Obviously for my child I want whatever will help that room stay warm and keep those drafts out in the wintertime. Any suggestions would be aprecciated!

Best Regards,

Rick

Mantaray14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

i just used regular R-13 Kraft-faced fiberglass roll insulation. My floors arent even insulated yet, but you can definitely tell the difference in rooms that have the new stuff, and the rooms that dont. For example, the master bedroom is completely insulated and drywalled now, the bathroom is not. In the bedroom, you're sweating even in 30 degree weather outside. The windows arent anything special, either. In the bathroom, you're freezing. So just normal R-13 will make a huge difference. That denim stuff is supposed to be really great but its also really expensive, and so is foam. Just a heads up.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #3

#1 you need to go back and add your location to your profile for this type question.
Just go to quick links to edit.
Got some pictures, drawings.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

depends ENTIRELY on your location what the best solution would be, but remember, there is more then one solution. There is no such thing as bad insulation, just bad installation. I can recommend a little more with your region though.
asinsulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

everything i have read about insulation its all about where you are, because you might have to install a vapor barer. and don't forget the second you open up the walls, to do more the minor drywall patch work, you have to bring electrical up to code, and other items in the wall.
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am going to start a project soon. My son's room has alway's been the coldest room in the house. Not only is there no insulation (none of the original rooms have it), but his room takes a direct hit from the wind, creating a strong draft there. To make matters worse, the original owner tried to tack up some kind of "stick-on" wall board in an attempt to make he walls thicker and now the walls are in terrible shape.

So it's time for the walls to come down, and some nice new insulation and sheet rock (and paint and trim of course) to come in.

My question is this. I hear there's all kinds of new insulation products out there. One friend says theres this "denim" product that best, another friend tells me he just used some kind of foam board and thats the best. Obviously for my child I want whatever will help that room stay warm and keep those drafts out in the wintertime. Any suggestions would be aprecciated!

Best Regards,

Rick
Well first of all were are you located at would help. I know using old jeans is not the best. why? because that material can be reused in to making new cotton clothing and farming cotton is the hardest crop on the soil it depleats the nutrients of the soil faster then any crop out there so the more we can really recycle the better plus if you live in a humid climate it draws in moisture. I would just stick with Batts of Fiber glass. After having two contractors come out to add insulation to my attic one that used paper mulch and one that used Fiber glass I have to say I am using the Fiberglass guys even the paper mulch man said it is bad to use in the damp northwest out in the cost were I live. So I think it depends on were you live and stuff For me I would just use the pink stuff.
RTC_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

+1

Pictures, location of the home, and budget will help get you the most comprehensive answers.

Denim is not the best solution by any stretch and there are a myriad of products that will do the same thing with minimal environmental impact.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #8

Be sure that the insulation batts are fluffed properly to cut down on air moving about in the stud cavities which increases heat loss.

Caulk the window frames as needed. Old style windows with sash weights have additional heat loss and possible additional drafts through the spaces where the weights hang.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

RTC and Windows: There is actually a type of insulation that is made from recycled denim, and i think that is what OP is talking about. Its supposed to work great but its like $5 per square foot. Ive never seen it in person, but it was a choice offered on Run my Renovation once.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
RTC and Windows: There is actually a type of insulation that is made from recycled denim, and i think that is what OP is talking about. Its supposed to work great but its like $5 per square foot. Ive never seen it in person, but it was a choice offered on Run my Renovation once.
It is 100% ungreen that denim could have been reused to make new Blue jeans etc. so to not have to farm cotton as much. Got to look at the real big picture here. Plus it absorbs moisture like a spounge it wicks it up! soaks it up. and that can cause other problems I am sure of. oh and when I insulated my walls for my living room I caulked the bottom plate and the joint between the two top plates and ran a bead of good stuff foam low expansion foam on all the inside corners of the studs. then I put in new R21 high density batts I paid .52 cents per square foot for. I also put these on my outlet boxes too http://www.energyblock.com/install.php those will really stop air flow from the outlet boxs.

Last edited by RTC_wa; 03-15-2013 at 12:14 PM.
RTC_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #11

As others have said, location is important
I have a blog post on this subject That you might find useful

Last edited by TheEplumber; 03-17-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: link removed
rckkrgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
JPL

Closed cell spray foam. R7 per inch, no air infiltration. Google it- it's a DYI product. Not cheap, but totally worth it.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Closed cell spray foam. R7 per inch, no air infiltration. Google it- it's a DYI product. Not cheap, but totally worth it.
It will be mucho expensive via the froth packs and twin tank kits and the yield is terrible.

The original poster can do a whole lot with proper air sealing, rigid foam, and high density batts.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
RTC_wa (03-18-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #14

Spray foam is one product that should NOT be done DIY...lol
asinsulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
JPL

www.sprayfoamdirect.com. I say the same thing about A/V and automation systems. Yet every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks they know it all and can install those things PROPERLY. If you take the time and research what you're doing, DYI is possible with nearly everything.

JPL is offline   Reply With Quote