Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

insulation between joists

I have a ranch that has a bedroom above the unheated garage. As I remodel the bath next to the garage now, I can see that the old insulation between the floor joists might need to be replaced. Without ripping out any drywalls in the garage, is it possible to stuff insulation in between the joists from the bathroom?

The picture attached shows the view from the bath being remodeled. The garage is on the other side of the wall and the bedroom closet is above the ceiling in the picture. You can just barely make out the crumpled looking insulation in between the joists near the center of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
insulation between joists-img_0007.jpg  

Last edited by saimike; 07-12-2013 at 10:27 AM.
saimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

If someone knew at least what country and state you lived in by adding it to your profile we can make some guesses on how to do it.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table

No way was that garage built to code. It needed 5/8 fire rock separating it from the living space for fire protection and to prevent CO2 from getting into the living space.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Looks like I'm on the border of Zone 4-5. The house was built in the 50s (and hardly updated) so things were very different then.

Just updated my location, sorry about that. Keep the suggestions rolling!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #4

You could do a blown in insulation (fiberglass or cellulose). Shove the hose in the cavity as far as you can and turn the machine on, then you slowly draw the hose out, filling the cavity as you go. Just an idea...
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by one cut View Post
You could do a blown in insulation (fiberglass or cellulose). Shove the hose in the cavity as far as you can and turn the machine on, then you slowly draw the hose out, filling the cavity as you go. Just an idea...
That's an interesting idea. Would there be any issues with code? I would imagine whoever rips apart the garage ceiling (not sure why one would do that, but ...) will be in for a surprise!

While I haven't tried this before, I don't suppose bats or rolls would work?