Insulation Below Knee Wall - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation below knee wall

My house has an attic that was finished before I moved in. I had a quote to have insulation improved and part of it was to remove some of the finished floor and install rigid foam below the knee walls.

I understand that if the attic was properly finished, you would want to block the joist under the knee wall. I took a look and there is kraft R-22 spanning the entire room (from before the attic was finished). This insulation fills most of the 2x8 joist. I know that this isn't ideal, but it doesn't seem cost effective to correct this problem. Am I losing a lot of heat by not having the joist blocked off?

Advertisement

yaemish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,258

Depends on the leakiness of the home.

The only way to get and idea of the air loss would be to actually have a blower door test of some sort.

Is there not kneewall access right now? Cutting into the finished floor seems a bit invasive and not the preferred access methodology for those type locations.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #3

I had an audit but not a blower door test. There isnt enough space to work behind the knee wall. However, when i took a look.at the insulation it was clean. So i dont think there is much air moving over it.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Oh and the floor isnt like finished hardwood. Its roof deck, plywood, carpet.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,258

In the air moving through the insulation may not be moving into the living space but strips the R-Value from the insulation. That is often times the larger benefit.

If there is not much air movement, I would leave the floors alone.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaemish View Post
My house has an attic that was finished before I moved in. I had a quote to have insulation improved and part of it was to remove some of the finished floor and install rigid foam below the knee walls.

I understand that if the attic was properly finished, you would want to block the joist under the knee wall. I took a look and there is kraft R-22 spanning the entire room (from before the attic was finished). This insulation fills most of the 2x8 joist. I know that this isn't ideal, but it doesn't seem cost effective to correct this problem. Am I losing a lot of heat by not having the joist blocked off?
Simply put...YES! The cold air entering from soffit vents is creating a convective flow through your insulation reducing the effective R-Value drastically. Hot moves to Cold so even when no wind exists air is moved due to the delta T.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote