Insulation On Basement Celing - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 260

Insulation on Basement Celing

Hello

As you see in the second picture, a natural gas pipeline going through a hole in the subfloor connecting to my natural gas fireplace on the main floor. Could i use Roxul (safensound) insulation to cover the hole? just use the one batt to cover the entire section between the two joists?

Also, could i use the same thing and stuff it behind and below the fireplace, (below the firebox, itself, in the space that the natural gas pipeline goes through. (first picture)

thanx for your help in advance

PTMD
Attached Thumbnails
Insulation on Basement Celing-20130123_204135.jpg   Insulation on Basement Celing-20130123_194001.jpg  

Advertisement

Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Do you require an outside air source for combustion, did you check with manufacturer on insulation guidelines?

Gary

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #3

i dont think so, the ignition (or spark area) is contained within the firebox and the firebox itself has a direct vented system (double barrel - exhaust in the middle barrel and intake on the outside).
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

Air-seal the holes in the metal with metal plates and rubber grommet to allow movement in case of seismic zone, canned foam the OSB flooring hole on the protective sleeve only, keep any clearance to insulation required by stove manufacturer. Nothing inside the f.p. housing. I'd change out the f.g. on the rims for rigid foam/canned foam to stop the air infiltration/exfiltration; Insulating Rim Joist - caulk or spray foam around edges?

Gary
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

thank you, but what are the acronyms you are using? f.p. f.g.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitabh View Post
thank you, but what are the acronyms you are using? f.p. f.g.
Fire Place

Fiber Glass

Advertisement

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brockmiera For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-30-2013)