Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

insulation

laying insulation over wiring in attic

Advertisement

kandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,450

insulation

Okay.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Insatiable Learner

Rewards Points: 156
Smile

insulation

I hope that wiring isn't K&T.

Insulation around K&T is a big no-no
AngelArs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 568

insulation

So what's the question?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-13-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Insatiable Learner

Smile

insulation

I think she thinks she's on twitter
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandi View Post
laying insulation over wiring in attic
Once again, this is a forum, not google, populated by REAL people willing to answer QUESTIONS when asked. Posts like yours will either go unanswered or our members will be irked by your lack of common sense and reply with rude or silly answers. If you have a question, please post it as such.

Thank you

DM
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,680

insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
I hope that wiring isn't K&T.

Insulation around K&T is a big no-no
my attic is full of both. has been for decades. i have yet to see a problem with it. and i am still using much of it, for now.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
Insatiable Learner

Smile

insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
my attic is full of both. has been for decades.
Consider yourself lucky. You might want to do yourself a favor and revisit the issue. It's a well known fire problem K&T is an air insulated system and requires surrounding air to keep it cool. Most insulation packaging warns about this. Most insurance companies won't pay out if its discovered that's how the fire started. Here's a quick reference talking about it.

Quote:
K&T is an air insulated system and becomes a fire hazard when it is buried in house insulation.

Last edited by AngelArs; 09-14-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #9

insulation

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky. You might want to do yourself a favor and revisit the issue. It's a well known fire problem K&T is an air insulated system and requires surrounding air to keep it cool. Most insulation packaging warns about this. Most insurance companies won't pay out if its discovered that's how the fire started. Here's a quick reference talking about it.

i know all about it. and i am doing something about it, 1 room at a time. but the K&t in this house is pretty high quality. the sheathing is in darned good shape. and the wire is heavy gauge.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,450

insulation

Industrial grade huh. Of course, why can't they make stuff to last like they did back in the day, when unions were not involved, and there was pride in workmanship.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Insatiable Learner

Smile

insulation

Quote:
the K&t in this house is pretty high quality. the sheathing is in darned good shape. and the wire is heavy gauge.
I'm glad that you're aware of this matter and most importantly, that you're taking steps to correct it. Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with the condition of the K&T, or it's gauge. This is purely about the wire 'suffocating' under insulation (there is no surrounding air to cool it). I know it's a pain in the butt to replace it (I'm in the process of replacing mine too) with modern day wiring, but on the bright side you only have to do this once
Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #12

insulation

Quote:
This is purely about the wire 'suffocating' under insulation (there is no surrounding air to cool it).
actually, no, its not.

its about the "load" on that wire. when there is too many things running on that wire, the wire gets hot. when the wire gets very hot, it makes things around it very hot. whether or not a fire starts because of this, depends on how close and what type of combustibles are around that wire.

sure, if there is no "suffocation" going on, chances of a fire are lower.
if the wire is not "overloaded", then a fire will not happen.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Insatiable Learner

insulation

Quote:
if the wire is not "overloaded", then a fire will not happen.

Tell that to the United States National Electric Code (NEC). Your reasoning may be true in a perfect world but that discounts the whole purpose for insulation, which is to isolate heat in or out, in this case inside the wiring jacket made out of old flammable cotton cloth. No one here is talking about over loading the wires capacity. The whole reason why K&T was suspended in air was so that it could dissipate heat. Not necessarily heat from a overloaded circuit, but just normal dally heat from normal electric current. When you take away that heatsink (in this case the air) and surround the wire with insulation, the knob and tube wires are no longer suspended in air, and naturally will become hotter than intended. Anyway I'm not here to debate the facts which should seem obvious. I was only trying to help. Once a fire starts you can debate your opinion with it, and the insurance company. Speaking of the NEC, it doesn't appear that you were aware that the United States National Electric Code (NEC) section 324-4, actually forbids the use of loose, blown-in, or expanding foam insulation over Knob and Tube wiring. I wonder why?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,010

insulation

Any other questions, kandi?

Gary

Advertisement